Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy 2022, you easy riders.

I love my 2005 Zuma 2T with Minarelli motor but with only 4000 miles on it a problem developed with the kick starter where the steel bushing pressed into the side cover would slip inward and the cog gear and associated round gear would mash up against the spinning variator pulley, making an awful buzzsaw ruckus as well as metal shards and requiring an emergency roadside stop to jostle the foot peg lever outward, then jamb some cardboard behind it to prevent it from colliding again. Well, being new years day 2022 and everything closed, I finally used my round tuit and fixed that issue. I had planned on doing this for some time so at my local orange hardware store bought a 2 pack of 1 1/4" stainless washers about dime thickness and with a 3/8" hole in the centers. I found a bolt and nut to fit the center and chocked one up into my cordless drill. Then with it spinning laid the washers edge against a grinding wheel until it was about 1 1/8 " (3cm) diameter and able to fit into the motor's side case depression where the kick starter shaft comes out. Then I enlarged the washer's center hole so that it would fit over the kick starter shaft. Next I chocked a blue stone 3/4" grinding wheel into my dremel and routed out that depression on the side cover to deepen it so that the washer I ground would fit under the circlip groove in the kickstarter shaft. I even used the blue stone dremel bit on the washer to thin it even more then hand ground it on a sharpening whetstone to further smooth it. All in all the project took about 2 hours of grinding and test fitting but after all said and done the stainless washer fits snugly into the side cover and the cog gear with shaft protrudes just enough to get that circlip on. Now impossible for that bushing and gears to ever slip inside again. A little grease, some swear words while getting that cog spring back on and bob's yer uncle.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts