Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola Amigos, I've been the proud owner of a 2012 50F since 2014 and put a little less than 8k miles on it. In mid July, it was stolen and in on Aug 1 it was recovered. After paying $450 to get it out of impound, the fairings are mostly busted, seat was stabbed, but most importantly the ignition lock feature is damaged or busted. The scooter was in the "locked left" position when it was stolen. My handle bars will now turn from left to center, but will not turn right. I can get the key into the ignition, but I am not able to turn in either direction (i've sadly spent about an hour fiddling with it with no luck).

Any recommendations on what to do aside from bringing it to the deal to have the ignition replaced? I am not a mechanic and have done nothing more that change the oil and spark plug on this but I am just about broke so will try anything before bringing it to the dealer. I have not attempted to remove any of the hex nuts that are on the ignition. If you see anything else that is wrong with it, I'd be grateful if you could let me know.

Also, any way to open the seat other than with the key? My helmet & gloves are in there (hopefully) and I would love to at least get my helmet back.

Thank you all in advance. Here are some pics

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello Recovered,

Outside of going to a locksmith, I think that your best option is to order a new ignition/lock/key set from your local Yamaha dealer. It’s a little over $100 but includes that fancy-schmancy anti-theft key and keyhole thing that worked so well for you. I always felt that this anti-theft feature was a double-edged sword since getting copies was so difficult. This seems to be a common thread on this forum:

duplicate kay?

Lost set of keys

— Rick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts