Yamaha Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Team,

Over the past couple of months I have encountered some problems with my 2007 R1. I have taken it to a registered Yamaha Dealership and had the bike fully serviced, had a brand new TPS unit installed and the techs have connected to the computer and checked for error codes which are not registering anything. Unfortunately the problem has persisted and I was wondering if anyone on here may have an idea whats wrong as it seems the Yamaha techs have no idea and Im paying them to eliminate the problem, but they cant seem to identify whats causing it.

So the problem that I am having is that after intermittent times (so I could be riding for 5mins or 50mins), firstly the check engine light comes on. Then after a short time whether I am stationary or riding at a slow speed, the the bike completely shuts down acting like it has stalled. To fix this at that point, I turn the bike off with the key, then I start the bike again with the key and the bike starts and I can ride again possibly for once again 5mins or 50mins until the same thing happens again.

When I first presented to Yamaha, I told them I had a Power Commander installed and they said that would be the problem, so they disconnected it. It didnt work.

Need some serious help folks as I love this bike and I want it running back the way it usually used to run.

Arf.
:frown2:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hi Team,

Over the past couple of months I have encountered some problems with my 2007 R1. I have taken it to a registered Yamaha Dealership and had the bike fully serviced, had a brand new TPS unit installed and the techs have connected to the computer and checked for error codes which are not registering anything. Unfortunately the problem has persisted and I was wondering if anyone on here may have an idea whats wrong as it seems the Yamaha techs have no idea and Im paying them to eliminate the problem, but they cant seem to identify whats causing it.

So the problem that I am having is that after intermittent times (so I could be riding for 5mins or 50mins), firstly the check engine light comes on. Then after a short time whether I am stationary or riding at a slow speed, the the bike completely shuts down acting like it has stalled. To fix this at that point, I turn the bike off with the key, then I start the bike again with the key and the bike starts and I can ride again possibly for once again 5mins or 50mins until the same thing happens again.

When I first presented to Yamaha, I told them I had a Power Commander installed and they said that would be the problem, so they disconnected it. It didnt work.

Need some serious help folks as I love this bike and I want it running back the way it usually used to run.

Arf.
:frown2:
So you get a check engine light, this should set a code. Being that is doesn't have a code and it will just die I would say you have a power or ground problem to the ECM. When it looses power it clears the code. Anyway, I would start by letting the bike idle and wiggle wires, fuses ect. See if you can get it to hiccup or die this way, narrowing it down where the problem is.

Also, the very first thing that should be done is a good visual inspection. This seems to be ignored by techs, they just like to look for codes which obviously won't work in this case...
Do what you have to do, pull of plastics so you can see wiring. Look for any corrosion. Look at/near the battery, batteries love to put off acid gas that corrodes stuff.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts