Yamaha Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I’m new to this forum, so ‘Hi’ everyone.

I’m looking to change my automatic cam chain tensioner to a manual one as I believe it’s sticking causing the chain to slap which I can hear. My question is:- can I just remove the old and fit the new? or do I have to set the timing to a specific point first, ie. TDC etc?
Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hi all
I’m new to this forum, so ‘Hi’ everyone.

I’m looking to change my automatic cam chain tensioner to a manual one as I believe it’s sticking causing the chain to slap which I can hear. My question is:- can I just remove the old and fit the new? or do I have to set the timing to a specific point first, ie. TDC etc?
Any help would be appreciated
just remove and replace, just don't turn the engine over with the tensioner off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx, just didn’t want to fully slacken it off and maybe jump a tooth somewhere. I know not to turn it over l. Should only be a half hour job removing tank and tensioner then.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thanx, just didn’t want to fully slacken it off and maybe jump a tooth somewhere. I know not to turn it over l. Should only be a half hour job removing tank and tensioner then.
Try to get the valves closed when you do it, that way it won't move at all. Or at least the tension off the chain.
For example on a single cylinder at TDC the valves will be closed and there will be no tension on the chain.
I hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Mines a straight 4 cylinder, how would I go about that?
well, with a 4 cyl it will be pretty stable because there are so many cam lobs and valves to hold it. Even though I really think it will go easy I don't want to guarantee it so to speak.

Ok, I looked at that engine and there are 2 cams. Of course it would be best to be able to see the timing marks on the cams and the flywheel to be sure to get it right. There are probably covers that are easily removed to check this. Sorry but I don't know off hand how to do this, you really need a service manual to know. Sometimes you can find them online. Not a owners manual but a service manual.

EDIT: Found this, right at 3:20 it start showing the cam chain. Looks like the valve cover and side cover have to be off to check it.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NgknUm-1ec&ab_channel=Partzilla[/ame]

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would think twice about this. Is it worn out a or just sticking. If the guides are worn then you are all ready there, but it will make another step in your maintenance. The automatic slack adjuster has more than a job of just keeping the slack out it also helps keep the chain from snapping under some kind of stress. Like a shock absorber. Run a half a can of seafoam through the engine oil for about a hour riding. that will clean your valves and also clean out that slack adjuster. Are your valves self adjusting. If not than it maybe time to adjust them. Valve adjustment can be a world of good. After you ran the seafoam. Drain that oil and filter. Add a 1/4 can seafoam top with Fresh oil, filter. Let it run until next PM. Put the last part of the can in the gas. It will help clean the carbs/injectors and especially the top side of the valves.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts