Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 yz426f. that i have instaled in an atv frame.. really nice quad. i need to know what i need to do to run 12v dc from my stock stater...can anyone help?
~matty

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
2000 yz426f. that i have instaled in an atv frame.. really nice quad. i need to know what i need to do to run 12v dc from my stock stater...can anyone help?
~matty
Hi Matty
What you need is the stator of a WR450 .. it should fit .. the YZ stator is an 'ignition only' stator. But you must insure that you have the rest of the charging components in order for it to work correctly along with the WR450 CDI box.
Have a look aroung the net but after a quick read about ,I guess for a simple fix without getting to in depth with electronics just fit everything off the WR450 and wire it up following the WR450 diagrams
Regards Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I chose the 426 cause it is an ungoverened motor. stock 12.5:1 (way better then any stock atv and no rev limit!!! i turn 13200 rpm with this moror! so going to a wr450 system would do me no good. The diagram in manual says it has a yellow wire coming from a charging coil in the stater. i have a 7 wire stater...3 for tps, 3 for ignishion, and 1 for power.
cant i just get an inverter to turn it down to DC ??

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
I chose the 426 cause it is an ungoverened motor. stock 12.5:1 (way better then any stock atv and no rev limit!!! i turn 13200 rpm with this moror! so going to a wr450 system would do me no good. The diagram in manual says it has a yellow wire coming from a charging coil in the stater. i have a 7 wire stater...3 for tps, 3 for ignishion, and 1 for power.
cant i just get an inverter to turn it down to DC ??
Hi Matty,
does the yellow wire run to the cdi ?
Regards Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

in the diagram it says it is supose to go to an external reg/rec. on the actual bike...no goes to cdi

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
you have to double check but usually on the 426 motor you can adapt the WR426 lighting assembly (stator, case cover , shifter, and some wiring harness leads) I have an 01 YZ426F and that's what I did. I know Moose has an aftermarket stator for that motor too. the problem with the moose is it is only a 50W.... my buddy has a 100W stator for his but I don't know what brand all I know is he forked close to 400bucks for it a couple of years ago.
Good luck tho sounds like a fun project. :ride:

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Get a WR426 stator and flywheel they put out 120 watts and you should have it set up for under $50 after the cost of the stator and flywheel. Its a straight swap for the stator and flywheel with just a bit of modification to the stator harness that plugs into your YZ CDI. You dont need the CDI from the WR. Watch e-bay and they eventually come up, i got mine for $200 plus shipping (i think its a grand or so from yamaha). I run a yz 426 on the street as a supermoto and run now use a WR stator and flywheel. Although its cheaper to go for the moose/electropost stator DO NOT DO IT!!! I made that mistake and they are garbage. I went through 2 of them, tonnes of headaches. If you have questions just ask and ill try and help.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Get a WR426 stator and flywheel they put out 120 watts and you should have it set up for under $50 after the cost of the stator and flywheel. Its a straight swap for the stator and flywheel with just a bit of modification to the stator harness that plugs into your YZ CDI. You dont need the CDI from the WR. Watch e-bay and they eventually come up, i got mine for $200 plus shipping (i think its a grand or so from yamaha). I run a yz 426 on the street as a supermoto and run now use a WR stator and flywheel. Although its cheaper to go for the moose/electropost stator DO NOT DO IT!!! I made that mistake and they are garbage. I went through 2 of them, tonnes of headaches. If you have questions just ask and ill try and help.
That's what I posted early on as the best answer, but if the yellow is removed from the cdi plug and the ignition checked (no misfires) and that 12 VAC + given between the free Yellow & Black wire wire from the stator. If you get the motor to run correctly and 12 VAC + from the yellow you are half way there but I still think the WR stuff is the best bet and if the YZ cdi works there is the off road curve built in ( hi rpm) but check all of this site out Horse Power Ignition I run one of my bikes with a 'custom map' on one of these http://www.hpi.beuniversalignitiondig.htm
Regards Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts