Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everybody.
not long bought a yz250 and went out with a bunch of exc 300 lads.
is it possible to change the 1st and 2nd gears of my yz to the same as the exc 300 so the gearing is the same on mine as it is on the 300's?

·
Super Moderator
479 Posts
hi everybody.
not long bought a yz250 and went out with a bunch of exc 300 lads.
is it possible to change the 1st and 2nd gears of my yz to the same as the exc 300 so the gearing is the same on mine as it is on the 300's?
No way to change gearing in the transmission. You could play with the front and rear chain gears though.

·
Registered
2001yz 250
2 Posts
No way to change gearing in the transmission. You could play with the front and rear chain gears though.
Hey that is why I’m in this forum I’m building my YZ 2001 250 and want to gear it better towards just chill trial rides maybe a little aggressive not to low what do you suggest for sprockets -

do I just do smaller in front and stay stock in rear -
Or chaMeg both ???
I’d lover everyone feedback so I can get in the trails —-

·
Registered
2001yz 250
2 Posts
Hey that is why I’m in this forum I’m building my YZ 2001 250 and want to gear it better towards just chill trial rides maybe a little aggressive not to low what do you suggest for sprockets -

Or chaMeg both ???
I meant “TRAIL “ not trial

·
Super Moderator
479 Posts

Or chaMeg both ???
So you want a higher rpm at the same speed or? For slow climbing hills ect?
If that's the case I think 1 tooth larger on the back would be the best way. Of course it depends on what fits and what's available. As example a smaller gear on the front isn't likely possible or available for that.
On my Warrior quad I have a 1 tooth bigger for the front to get about 5 MPH faster.

·
Super Moderator
479 Posts
Did that effect top end much?
I'm not positive what you mean.
It topped out at about 50 mph and with the 1 tooth bigger it would hit 55.
The only other thing I could tell the difference in was low speed like when climbing a hill or lots of obstacles, it wasn't good because I couldn't go slow like before and not bog it down.
I put the stock back on.

·
Administrator "Loose Nut" - From Houston, Texas
198 Posts
Some times when changing to a taller gear you get more speed but at expense of low end torque. The reason I asked about top end speed is normally the more top end you pick up the low speed suffers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts