Yamaha Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2009 Yamaha yw50 recently. I was taking it for a ride & noticed it would not accelerate past 50 kph.
It rides perfectly within that speed. But as soon as I try to give it more it simply doesn’t accelerate. It doesn’t bog down or decelerate, it just simply won’t accelerate past 50 kph.

the Throttle cable was replaced shortly before I purchased it & I suspect it wasn’t installed properly. But I want to know if there’s anything else that could maybe cause this?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Moore_77363,

I hate to tell you this, but your 50cc scooter is about the same horse power as a hedge trimmer or a small lawn mower. It simply can’t go much faster than that. You can get a Big Bore Kit to increase it a little bit more. You can play around with the CVT, use synthetic oil and get a different muffler to further increase your speed, but it won’t be a whole lot more.

Even my stock Zuma/BWS 125 is only 12 horse power. I can get it up to 60 MPH (96 km/h) eventually. If you really want to go a lot faster, you may need to invest in a larger scooter or motorcycle. Otherwise, concentrate on scenic routes that are at that speed.

Best of luck. 🛵💨

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hi Moore_77363,

I hate to tell you this, but your 50cc scooter is about the same horse power as a hedge trimmer or a small lawn mower. It simply can’t go much faster than that. You can get a Big Bore Kit to increase it a little bit more. You can play around with the CVT, use synthetic oil and get a different muffler to further increase your speed, but it won’t be a whole lot more.

Even my stock Zuma/BWS 125 is only 12 horse power. I can get it up to 60 MPH (96 km/h) eventually. If you really want to go a lot faster, you may need to invest in a larger scooter or motorcycle. Otherwise, concentrate on scenic routes that are at that speed.

Best of luck. 🛵💨
They only go 30 mph?? Really?
Probably a good thing now that I think about it. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts