Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm looking to put a regular amplifier on 2021 yamaha 9.9hp outboard s year to charge the battery. The only one I can get is a genuine yamaha one £220. Is there any other after market type would do the same job?

·
Registered
Way too many to list....
292 Posts
That would also need a stator ... Do they have one that puts out enough voltage ? Rectifier requires a power source ...., Any rect./ reg. Will do ....,
TRY Partzilla for a video of charging systems / testing , repair ...... That may help ....,

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think he means a regulator/rectifier
Not electrical savvy, but I sort of agree with Bwei. I thought a r/r was just a preset and triggers at dumping more volts to ground?

Then I would think if no accessories, and the preset was at 14.7-14.8v, it would start cooking the battery acid to cause the battery to bulk, and buckle from all that heat?

Not a yammie, but I've seen my street bike peak at 14.7 at times but drops to 14.5v steady running around all day. So I can't see the r/r set any higher? I could be completely wrong on this, but what is so different about the higher end r/r, but built with better quality hardware parts inside and that's WATT you're paying for extra?

Corn Fused on this end.

·
Registered
Way too many to list....
292 Posts
Not electrical savvy, but I sort of agree with Bwei. I thought a r/r was just a preset and triggers at dumping more volts to ground?

Then I would think if no accessories, and the preset was at 14.7-14.8v, it would start cooking the battery acid to cause the battery to bulk, and buckle from all that heat?

Not a yammie, but I've seen my street bike peak at 14.7 at times but drops to 14.5v steady running around all day. So I can't see the r/r set any higher? I could be completely wrong on this, but what is so different about the higher end r/r, but built with better quality hardware parts inside and that's WATT you're paying for extra?

Corn Fused on this end.
Go to Partzilla for some great videos on charging systems ,,, Helps clear up confusion ...,

·
Registered
Way too many to list....
292 Posts
I pretty much skipped outboard education , Too busy with race cars , motorcycles , Lawn and Garden industry ..., Small to Medium tractors ...., Also , afraid of water ,, did'nt realize that till early my early 40s ..,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts