Yamaha Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I guess this is pretty common with outboard motors: due to propeller movement, at low speed they tend to rotate sideways, being quite annoying while one is steering the boat with the tiller/helm and having to keep correcting the engine angle in order to keep going straight. Is anyone familiar with this kind of engine and if there is a lock to avoid this sideways rotation?

Attached the only manual I could find for this outboard engine. There is only a tilt lock available to allow tilting or locking the motor out of the water, but not to lock the sideways rotation.

Much appreciated,
Pedro

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hi, I guess this is pretty common with outboard motors: due to propeller movement, at low speed they tend to rotate sideways, being quite annoying while one is steering the boat with the tiller/helm and having to keep correcting the engine angle in order to keep going straight. Is anyone familiar with this kind of engine and if there is a lock to avoid this sideways rotation?

Attached the only manual I could find for this outboard engine. There is only a tilt lock available to allow tilting or locking the motor out of the water, but not to lock the sideways rotation.

Much appreciated,
Pedro
You want to lock the steering of the boat while it's moving? I don't get it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's right, Scott. My vessel has a helm I can already use to steer, so no need for the outboard engine's tiller.

In the meantime, I was told by other club sailors that due to emergency reasons it's good that no such lock exists, since one could still rely on the outboard engine tiller to maneuver the vessel in case the helm has any issues. In any case, I would still like to know if this Yamaha model has such a lock.

Appreciated!

·
Registered
380 Posts
That's right, Scott. My vessel has a helm I can already use to steer, so no need for the outboard engine's tiller.

In the meantime, I was told by other club sailors that due to emergency reasons it's good that no such lock exists, since one could still rely on the outboard engine tiller to maneuver the vessel in case the helm has any issues. In any case, I would still like to know if this Yamaha model has such a lock.

Appreciated!
are you trying to just lock it in so you don't have to hold the wheel (helm)? It sounds like it turns too easy for you if that makes sense? There might be a device like a steering stabilizer you could install. For example, on a land vehicle it makes the steering stiffer so the bumps in the road don't push you around.
I don't think I've ever seen an outboard with a lock for the exact reasons your friends mentioned. It would be unsafe to not be able to steer the boat!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts