Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone this is my first post here so I hope I'm in the right thread. I just recently got my hand on two 1981 XS850 I believe the midnight special editions. I'm wanting to do a rebuild on both. One of them has been sitting for about 6 years and the other about 15 with parts missing on the second one. I'm kind of looking for tips on a rebuild since it'll be my first. Like after such long times sitting if a few gasket kits and fresh oil if it'll run. And any other tips you can give. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone this is my first post here so I hope I'm in the right thread. I just recently got my hand on two 1981 XS850 I believe the midnight special editions. I'm wanting to do a rebuild on both. One of them has been sitting for about 6 years and the other about 15 with parts missing on the second one. I'm kind of looking for tips on a rebuild since it'll be my first. Like after such long times sitting if a few gasket kits and fresh oil if it'll run. And any other tips you can give. Thank you in advance.
I bought my first 850 MS back in 83 as a new, unsold model. Later I foolishly traded it in on a Turbo Seca. Well, years passed and I finally bought another about 6 years ago. I also have a 750 Midnight Maxim that is a result of what you are trying to do... put the best of two bikes into one. So let me give you a few of my personal thoughts. First, you will want to check the brakes of the bike you want to keep. Flush out the fluid, and as its coming out, examine it. If its really bad, you should do a brake overhaul. Lots of people will say do that anyway, and replace all the hoses and seals. Not cheap, but what is the value of your life? Now that you can stop, work on going. The fuel tank may be empty and rusted. That's bad. It will need to be taken care of. The carbs likely will need to be cleaned. Really cleaned. Buy rebuild kits and do it right. Nothing worse than a poor running engine. Pull the plugs and inspect them. Squirt a little oil in the cylinders before you fire it up. And before you fire it up, drain the oil from the filter and put it back on. Drain the oil and refill with some cheap oil. You will be replacing both after you run it for a little bit. Drain and replace the rear end fluid. Drain and replace the fork oil. Rumor has it you can replace that with different weight engine oil to get different response from your forks. I'd like to see pictures of them. I may be able to offer more advice once I see them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts