Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Has anyone with a 900S had the poor idle/engine knock syndrom ? most of these problems are down to carb setup and not the motor !!!
To cure this problem ensure the valve clearences are correct, the cam chain tensioner is working ok then go for the carbs ... set the balance (with guages) then go for the mix screws (starting from the left) screw them slowly in until the engine idle increases then decrease the idle (remember 1 cylinder at a time) then recheck the balance ... this is also true for all early XJ motors (and some FZ's)... If you have a problem post it here.
Regards Jim

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And you wonder why I don't like carbs. Just giving you crap Jim, but really FI is the way to go for me
Well Chris,
in the days when bikes ran carbs there was no electronic experts about to design FI & of course CDI/TCI, Which ment we had carbs & C/B points on the transition to CDI we used to get odd problems like RD250/400's running backwards (fun to ride when it happens :)) carbs continued on for another 20 years and became well over complex (emissions etc) , and the then proven and (then) simpler FI was employed but I would think that a 'poorly' FI would give the same knock which may cost more to put right rather than time taken to fettle the carbs. Don't get me wrong FI is the future (to give a greener planet etc.) . But I was getting at people who have had FI & don't understand Carbs !
Regards Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts