Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does my atv neutral light not come on, i checked all the all the wires and everything is good, new battery. 2005 Yamaha Bruin.

·
Super Moderator
479 Posts
Why does my atv neutral light not come on, i checked all the all the wires and everything is good, new battery. 2005 Yamaha Bruin.
First try the neutral switch, usually it's a single wire. If it is ground the wire and see if the light comes on. If it does that's the problem.

·
Super Moderator
479 Posts
where is the ground wire at, the battery one?
No, not a ground wire. The wire that connects directly to the switch. The switch will be on the engine/trans most likely down low. IDK where exactly on that bike. Look for a screw in type thing, it will look like a bolt with one wire connected to the center of it.
Search for the neutral switch for your bike and see if you can get a pic of it come up. It wIll help you know what to look for.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok i did it, and i found pictures of it there one where there's a plugin and that's the switch type, and there's a bolt and its a silver color and it says assembly

·
Super Moderator
479 Posts
Ok i did it, and i found pictures of it there one where there's a plugin and that's the switch type, and there's a bolt and its a silver color and it says assembly
Im not sure what you mean. If you found it ground the wire that goes to the switch and see if the light comes on

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i was meaning, i was going to buy the part if i had to but there were 2 different parts. 1 looked like a plug in and the other one looked like a bolt but i don't know what to get if i have to

·
Super Moderator
479 Posts
i was meaning, i was going to buy the part if i had to but there were 2 different parts. 1 looked like a plug in and the other one looked like a bolt but i don't know what to get if i have to
Look at yours, if it's bad get the same one.
The switch usually screw right into the engine. Then either the wire will have a tiny nut holding it on or just a plug like a spade or round one (single wire) It's the single wire you ground to test for a neut light. https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-5LP82...ocphy=9031714&hvtargid=pla-571702420701&psc=1
See the copper end? That is where the wire pushes on. pull the wire straight off, check for a light, ground that wire and check for a light. If nothing it's not that switch. (the switch grounds the wire to turn on the light) Could be the other way around but I don't think so. I hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry i meant to say it was the switch because, it was late at night and i was tired, but the switch was bad

·
Super Moderator
479 Posts
but if i was wrong, what else could it be?
Could be lots of things. I guess I should have asked if it starts in any gear but neutral.
If it won't start with the clutch engaged if not in neutral then that's not it.
You really need some experience with electrical to figure it out.
For example check for voltage and ground at the lamp itself. Could be it's just burnt out. If you don't know how to diagnose this stuff you could be replacing good parts until the cows come home. That can get exspensive.
One thing you can do for sure that should be done first is check all connections, wires and fuses for obvious problems.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im a little confused, if the light comes on that means its working? and it only starts in neutral but it cant right now because the neutral problem. and i have checked the bulb many times. but nothing works headlight's or reverse light or anything, new battery and its charged. i don't know if that will help, and i have checked the fuses and starter relay. Starter relay i bought 2 years ago. i don't know if thats a better description of my problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oh your saying if the light didnt come on its not that switch, and if i did its that sorry for misunderstanding

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Font Auto part Engineering Gas Diagram
what others could it be could you tell me the numbers of what it could be? i know its late im going to go to bed sorry for all the qeustions

1 - 20 of 31 Posts