Yamaha Forums banner

Who started on what?

6K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Vpr1019 
#1 ·
So now that I've been playing around with bikes for a while, and after the most recent motorcycle show, it seems that my wifey is getting the itch to ride. She has never been on a motorcycle, doesn't know how to drive a stick shift car but wants a bike. Probably gonna end up starting her out on a Kawi 250r (ONLY because Yamaha doesn't have anything smaller than a 600 on a sport bike). She will take an MSF course FOR SURE, but that probably won't be til about June.
Me personally, I had never been on a bike yet bought a '99 R6 and learned on that. Drive a stick shift everyday though, so I have the basic idea on how to drive with a clutch. Wasn't as hard as people who had bikes made it seem.

SOOOOOOOOOOO I'm wondering what people that ride 2 wheels on here started out on and what kind of knowledge they had of bikes when they started riding.

#2 ·
I rode dirt bikes if that counts. I had no experiance with anything with a clutch at all. I started on a CR80. Two-Stroke so it was pepy cause it was so light. Just had it in the yard for an hour till I figured it out then rode it out into the country and my dad let me go....I was 7 so it couldn't have been that hard cause then I was EXTREMLY uncordinated lol.

#9 ·
Well I started on a hand made (by my Father) Mobylette AV89 (MBK to most) the engine was grafted into a frame that suited a 4 year old & was tied up with leading link front forks (well cut down) a fuel tank supplied from a Norman Globemaster and a Lycett seat which I guess came from a Norman nippy. The wheels were either of a Raleigh RSW 16 or a Raleigh Wisp. What was odd was seeing the mag & clutch spinning around by your toes .... health & safety would have a field day now !!!!

#10 ·
my first bike was a 2001 yz 250 2stroke. i bought it when i was 17. im 19 now. ive rode bikes before then but wasnt that good with the clutch. i stuck with riding my friends pw 70. lol. the first bike i rode with the clutch was a cr 125 (honda's suck) almost killed myself. ha but then i rode my friends blaster and thats when i really learned on how to ride a clutch. then it was easy from there on. once you get the hang of it, its easy.

#11 ·
My first bike was a Honda Trail 50, then moved up to a XR75. Both bikes were awesome, and I had a lot of fun riding them.

#12 ·
I started on a 2005 Suzuki GS500f It was a cheap beginner bike for me and I was a passenger for a few months til I decided i wanted my own, it was a hand me down from the ex hubby (we were together at the time) Then like 3 months later I got a gixxer (600) I rode that for 3 years. I would say a 600 isn't a bad bike to learn on and you can ride it longer than you would a smaller bike. I upgraded to the R1 2 years ago...not sure if I love it yet...we have had some good times and bad times...lol a love hate relationship I would say. And as far as what i knew about them...I knew that they had 2 wheels and no box around the drivers seat. MSF was a great course for me and I LOVE TO ride now. I change my own oil and brakes and random other stuff...still learning how to work on them. Cars are easier for me to work on I know it's a basic concept and all but yeah...:thumbsup::mx::biggrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.