Yamaha Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2002 Vulcan 1500 Classic with Fuel Injection that I am having trouble with. It runs rich - the plugs are black (slightly) and I can smell gas fumes when it's running. Occasionally, it will not start and I can smell gas likes it's flooded. I have to let it sit for a while before I can get it started. When it does start up, it idles high until it warms up and then it drops down and stabilizes. It runs great, though. Can anyone tell me what could cause a digital fuel injected throttle body to run rich and / or flood? Or at least how to begin diagnosing it? I'm more of a carburetor guy, so I'm lost on FI.

·
Administrator "Loose Nut" - From Houston, Texas
33 Posts
The fuel pressure regulator could be defected allowing to high fuel pressure. But I would start with looking at a weak spark issue first, not burning all the fuel. When was the last time you put in new plugs. Are the plug wires in good shape? Is air filter clean, allowing enough air in?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fuel pressure regulator could be defected allowing to high fuel pressure. But I would start with looking at a weak spark issue first, not burning all the fuel. When was the last time you put in new plugs. Are the plug wires in good shape? Is air filter clean, allowing enough air in?
I'm sorry, I meant to say that... I put new plugs in not too long ago, but the issues were still there. I checked the air filter this weekend and it's like new. I even checked to make sure that the intake to the filter and the passage to the right side intake weren't clogged - dirt daubers or anything. All good. The plug wires seem ok. If it's weak spark, it would seem that it's affects all the cylinders because the black tint is on all of the plugs equally.

·
Administrator "Loose Nut" - From Houston, Texas
33 Posts
Possibly the injectors are slightly gummed up and not closing all the way. Remember, an injector is just a off - on switch for fuel. With todays fuels it's not uncommon for gunk to form. I would try some Seafoam or another injector cleaner, run a tank or two and see if it helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Possibly the injectors are slightly gummed up and not closing all the way. Remember, an injector is just a off - on switch for fuel. With todays fuels it's not uncommon for gunk to form. I would try some Seafoam or another injector cleaner, run a tank or two and see if it helps.
I'll try that. Thank you :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts