Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well went riding, but my clutch is not working right still! Also my bike seemed like it was popping in and out of second gear rapidly while in low RPM's. After all the money and work I did seems like for nothing! :ermm: Pictures came out ok, my photographer is out of practice.

Ghostinthetreeline even came with me to ride.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That has to be frustrating. I looked in your garage and that thing is sick. You better figure this thing out.
VERY FRUSTRATING!!!! You ever see a grown man cry? LOL Thank you for the compliment! I have spent a lot of time making it perform its best. I know I do but I don't know where to look now.

·
Registered
66 Posts
im having problems with my clutch right now to..i just bought all new plates and springs for $55 on ebay... have you checked the basket for notches? not sure where but i heard this happens alot

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Hi All,
To check the basket :- remove the pressure plate along with the friction & plain plates.
Check the edges of the clutch basket where the friction plates make contact with the basket any ridges or bumps can cause a few clutch problems .... What is the clutch doing dragging or slipping ? knowing that answer may shed some more light on what is up with the clutch.
Regards Jim

·
Registered
66 Posts
thanks jim

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im having problems with my clutch right now to..i just bought all new plates and springs for $55 on ebay... have you checked the basket for notches? not sure where but i heard this happens alot
They are fine. I have almost a brand new Hinson basket and pressure plate. I am thinking now it might just be the clutch fibers are burnt up. Not sure, But everything else is perfect in my clutch. Also I just replaced all the gears in my tranny. So I think the tranny shouldnt be making it jump in and out of second gear rapidly.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
They are fine. I have almost a brand new Hinson basket and pressure plate. I am thinking now it might just be the clutch fibers are burnt up. Not sure, But everything else is perfect in my clutch. Also I just replaced all the gears in my tranny. So I think the tranny shouldnt be making it jump in and out of second gear rapidly.
Hi Maverick,
So is the clutch slipping or dragging ? but to drop out of gear would point to a bent or worn selector, or a worn detent spring & ball (unlikely as it would drop out of all gears). To condem the gears the engine would have patchy drive (in gear then out etc) I guess it just jumps into neutral... sorry if I have gone off topic :doh:
:notetoself:Jim don't ramble on :)
Regards Jim

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Maverick,
So is the clutch slipping or dragging ? but to drop out of gear would point to a bent or worn selector, or a worn detent spring & ball (unlikely as it would drop out of all gears). To condem the gears the engine would have patchy drive (in gear then out etc) I guess it just jumps into neutral... sorry if I have gone off topic :doh:
:notetoself:Jim don't ramble on :)
Regards Jim
I would say Dragging. The shift forks (or selectors as you said) are good. When I changed all the gears they were not bent or worn. It doesn’t seem to be jumping into neutral. When the dogs were worn on the gears that is when it seemed like it was going into neutral. It seem like it is slipping, but it is fast when it slips in and out and there are no bad noises like it is jumping out of gear.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
I would say Dragging. The shift forks (or selectors as you said) are good. When I changed all the gears they were not bent or worn. It doesn’t seem to be jumping into neutral. When the dogs were worn on the gears that is when it seemed like it was going into neutral. It seem like it is slipping, but it is fast when it slips in and out and there are no bad noises like it is jumping out of gear.
Hi Maverick
just so I get this correct
1) The clutch is dragging
2) The transmission losses drive & regains it in a short period of time in second gear only
if this is correct the following may be at fault :-
Dragging Clutch
symptoms :- when you engage first gear with the clutch engaged the vehicle tends to move, if you rev the motor the bike will move faster with the clutch still engaged, There after all gears will be difficult to engage, think of the clutch only being half on.
fix :- strip the clutch out check the basket for gauling (notches) along with warped friction , plain plates and pressure plate. Check the release springs are the correct length and have the correct poundage. Check the oil is of the correct grade. If you have a release bearing (pull rod rather than push rod) ensure that the centre of the pressure plate, bearing & pull rod show NO signs of wear (the pull rod can catch on the pressure plate).
Transmission being patchy
if the change into second gear either drops to neutral or after load is applied to the gearbox and you get drive spasmodically the likely cause is the shift fork, with any gearbox I have repaired before I would replace the shift forks as a matter of course as it is too difficult to measure any bends on them but as a rule of thumb if they have a shine to the one side they are bent... Sorry for such a lengthy reply but if you have had all this to bits I think you have just missed something
Regards Jim

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for all of your input Jim! You have given me a few ideas I can look. It is just frusterating that I had it apart 2 weeks ago to fix one problem and now I have another.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Thank you for all of your input Jim! You have given me a few ideas I can look. It is just frusterating that I had it apart 2 weeks ago to fix one problem and now I have another.
Hi Maverick
what did you fix ?
Regards Jim

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
I had to replace all the gears in the tranny because the dogs were worn out on the back of the gears and I rebuilt the top end.
Hi Maverick,
Is this motor a 2 stroke or 4 stroke forgive my ignorance but it may have a bearing on the fix
regards Jim

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Hi Maverick
just a translation problem:- bearing = some point that helps with the original problem
Regards Jim

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Maverick
just a translation problem:- bearing = some point that helps with the original problem
Regards Jim
Not a bearing in the transmission. The bearings there are fine. When I had it apart I made sure to check everything over. That is what gets me I checked everything with someone else to confirm.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts