Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Back in the day Yamaha recommended 30 wt engine oil as a two stroke lube, which gave plug problems. What Oil does every one use these days in their older bikes
Regards Jim

·
Registered
19 Posts
I like the yamalube 2R if you want to stick with an OEM oil. If you prefer the aftermarket offerings I like the Klotz brand oils, which one will depend on use. I like the R50 for mix with gasolines and the Super Techniplate for mix with Methanol. I always recommend a blend type oil that has some castor content to it. I try to avoid the full synthetics, while they are superior for film strength I feel they promote cylinder glazing and they offer less performance because they don't burn off. The casor based offerings have a lower flash point and therefore a slight fuel quality to them that most of the full synthetic offerings don't. I'm also just not comfortable with the idea of mixing 50 or even 100:1, call me old fashioned.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Wildcard,
Yamalube 2R did not exist in the 60's~70's~80's (in the UK) so perhaps it's not quite the right stuff for classic Yams as I pointed out the factory recommendation then was 30 wt engine oil. Castrol R30 used to give a great smell from the exhaust but had the side effect of producing very hard carbon deposits which made decoking very difficult with high level exhausts, perhaps with older bikes its a mineral/ or synthetic issue.
Regards Jim

·
Registered
19 Posts
Jim,
I wouldn't hesitate to run the newer offerings in your older bikes assuming they are a pre-mix setup. If you have injectors on them you'd of course want to run an injector type oil. The only real major material differences you'll see between the engine internals of the classic motors and newer ones is the rings are now made of chromoly steel rather than iron. I would dare say you'll see a significant improvement in spark plug life and wear of your engine by running the more modern oils in lieu of 30w motor oil.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Jim,
I wouldn't hesitate to run the newer offerings in your older bikes assuming they are a pre-mix setup. If you have injectors on them you'd of course want to run an injector type oil. The only real major material differences you'll see between the engine internals of the classic motors and newer ones is the rings are now made of chromoly steel rather than iron. I would dare say you'll see a significant improvement in spark plug life and wear of your engine by running the more modern oils in lieu of 30w motor oil.
What do you think about running Castrol R30 or R40 ? I just love the smell in fact drop some into the fuel of a 4 stroke motor as a UCL and you get the same great 'race track' smell.
Back in the day I used 30 wt oil in the autolube systems with no problems, perhaps with these old bikes not mixing different oil types is more important than the type of oil used. At the moment my old strokers are running Tesco's 2T (Tesco is simular to Walmart) with no problems
Regards Jim

·
Registered
19 Posts
Jim, I really like the semi synthetics. The synthetic/castor blends really seem to have the best combination of wear reasistance, power output and clean burnoff. I haven't really done any testing on the R30 or R40 Castrol but I'd say it'd be an improvement over conventional 30w oil for sure. I've also never ran any of the store brand 2 stroke "weed eater" oil in my machines either. But again I think it'd be an improvement over the 30w.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Watch this short video it should explain everything... Or maybe confuse you.

X-H2O Oil Debate

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Watch this short video it should explain everything... Or maybe confuse you.

X-H2O Oil Debate
very good :thumbsup: .... but animated figures will not answer the question :rofl: oil is an emotive subject and everyone tells you different ... my point was in the 60's/70's straight 30w oil was ok for 2 strokes (ok they coked up and the main bearings tended to rust) as I never had a seize using it (tbh if you ran the engine on the limits there were no problems). Today my 3 two strokes run cheap two stroke oil with no problems (modern cheap two stroke oils are perhaps better than the old 30 wt) so I guess there is no problem .... unless you own an RD/RZ500 which played up on std oil
Regards Jim

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jim, good luck in your search. Have you looked into Interceptor, which is a high performance oil or maybe Dominator which was set up for racing? Both of these are full synthetic which will benefit you greatly!
on the same context why do I need expensive oil when the bike runs fine on walmart/tesco oil ?

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Cause more expensive = better :tongue:
Naww I think from what I have read Jim just likes to bitch and moan and why even bring the subject up of burning 30w oil?? This isnt 1960 or 1970.
I can GUARANTEE no one on this board burns 30w oil in a two stroke!

I have burnt Interceptor and Dominator oils in my HEAVLY modded 1200CC two stroke skis and if I could, thats all I would run. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
...I have burnt Interceptor and Dominator oils in my HEAVLY modded 1200CC two stroke skis and if I could, thats all I would run. :thumbsup:
What do you mean if you could? Why can't you run that all the time?
As far as Jim, he's just trying to have fun - it's his sense of humor :rofl:

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Naww I think from what I have read Jim just likes to bitch and moan and why even bring the subject up of burning 30w oil?? This isnt 1960 or 1970.
I can GUARANTEE no one on this board burns 30w oil in a two stroke!

I have burnt Interceptor and Dominator oils in my HEAVLY modded 1200CC two stroke skis and if I could, thats all I would run. :thumbsup:
No I dont moan my point is 2 stroke oil was 30 wt engine oil so why pay for an oil that is no difference to the old stuff

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
No I dont moan my point is 2 stroke oil was 30 wt engine oil so why pay for an oil that is no difference to the old stuff
My point is, if there is no difference and your not going to use the new stuff why ask??
If the 30 w is cacking your plugs then maybe its time to upgrade to a better oil????

·
Registered
105 Posts
Jim, to answer your question. It's kinda like insurance on your engine.....except this is not one that you pay into and never get anything out of. The prices you see are not my prices and therefore you can expect to save 20 - 25% and thus not be paying that much more! What you get with these oils is simple, better protection. These oils, unlike the ones from back in the day :p:, are deigned to work through the heat and keep protecting. For a small example, that is exactly why my diesel truck will be running around 22,500 miles on a single oil change! It is made to last! Now when you put that into perspective, let's talk about all this extra money you will be spending..... or not be spending. Less engine malfunctions, more efficiency and, with my price, at about the same cost! Jim, I am not just trying to sell you anything. In fact, you dont even have to buy it from me. Just trying to help you out with your question! :worthy:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts