Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
Way too many to list....
386 Posts
TTRs Are simple bikes ,, No handguards , those are aftermarket ... Never had lights from factory , so all that electrical is added ..., I believe you have an 07 ..by looks .. Post serial number , 10 th. Digit is year of mfg..

· Registered
Way too many to list....
386 Posts
These things are pretty much bulletproof , Simple , Get a PDF version of service manual @ Manualslib.com .. cheap , and easy . Subscription covers hundreds of bikes , appliances , cars , boats . ..., Your 2003 is a great bike . Just clean it up , and enjoy ..., Help is here ..., I have right now , 2003 - 05 - 07 - 09 - 2015 .... Most everything is interchangeable ..., Parts are plentiful ...., EBAY has most everything ..., Good luck ...,

· Registered
Way too many to list....
386 Posts
Does yours have electric start ? Kill swirch should only control the ignition .. not starter ... lights are ok , if fused off battery , don't know how long battery will hold up . Never had lights on mine ...., Any of them ... Manualslib. Can be used as a temporary manual , .... but it only costs a couple if dollars for subscription ...,

· Registered
Way too many to list....
386 Posts
It is the LE with starter and kick start. The previous owner told me the buttons are backwards but I haven't looked at it.
I just went out and checked the air filter and found out it's soggy with oil and disintegrating. I pulled the nasty foam from the air box and gave it a quick shot of starting fluid and pressed the little red button on the left bar and it fired right up for two seconds. I am positive it'll purr with a carb clean and some fresh ethanol free gas.
Just regular unleaded is fine .. Ethanol burn just as well .. Don't dwell on non ethanol ......,

· Registered
Way too many to list....
386 Posts
I have no problem ,... Low humidity area , .. usually hot , dry , Nothing I have sits .., All bikes 12 + ,... Mowers , cars trucks , tractors , Everything runs at least once a week , If nothing else , just started and idled in place .. All bikes get the country block ride ... about 3 mi. ..,

· Registered
Way too many to list....
386 Posts
Thanks for the help and advise. Now that I know this bike runs and isn't messed up internally, I'm excited to get it running. I don't plan to do anything cosmetically beyond a deep cleaning. New air filter,
new brake lever, carb rebuild, basic chain maintenance, and a peek at the suspension is all I've got in mind.
You get that thing figured out ? ?

· Registered
Way too many to list....
386 Posts
It needs the restriction of the filter , and probably still has a restriction on the pilot
Jet ....., They are cold natured bikes . Might need 1 size bigger pilot , or just a good reaming with a wire brush wire in vise grips ...

· Registered
Way too many to list....
386 Posts
Just take 1 wire out of standard wire brush . Hold it in vise grips ..., Plain old 90 / 140 on chain for lube ... Stay away from Hi pressure washers ... Elbow grease and paint brush with diesel cleans just as well , or better ....

· Registered
Way too many to list....
386 Posts
Rear Shock assembly from a newer bike , look at 07 and up . Front shocks are about as good as it gets for our size of body , I'm 160 # . I did have one with YZ 85 forks , but it messed up the handling of corners .... You should be good ....,

· Registered
Way too many to list....
386 Posts
They're made for beginner to in between type crowd . Just the right combo of power and handling even for us more seasoned riders .., Daylight ....., Not terrorizing the streets after dark for hood rats .,..., Easy riding , but well suited for me to show you up on some tricky trails ....., People laugh , until I pass them up ....,

· Registered
Way too many to list....
386 Posts
I've been lucky enough to have ridden almost eveey kind of bike out there ....., 50 cc PWs up to YZ 450 F s , and everything in between .... I sometimes miss my race bikes , but don't miss the schedules , maintenance , and pain they bring , Also joy ...., I've been outrun by the smaller bikes too ..., Just part of it ...., I just want to ride at my own pace now ... Unless some young punk like my grandson pulls up next to me ..., We live for banging bars , all out , give it your best shot racing ....., we been riding together since he was 4 ...... Now he's a Hotshot race car driver at the local dirt track ... I just don't have a car to compete with him ... Maybe next year ...., until then I need to unload about 10 bikes to make room for it ..... Got one in eyesight ....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts