Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 2005 ttr 125 le project bike yesterday morning for $500 outside of Erie, PA. I've owned a couple of street bikes (1984 KZ440 I rode for a year in the early 2000's and my current bike I've had since new.... a Suzuki sv650s) and a late 90'sYamaha Blaster but this is my first dirt bike. I am 5'9" and 140 lbs, so I should be able to have some fun with this thing in the northwestern PA woods. My son is ten and I got him started riding around our property on a Suzuki JR50 a couple years ago - I think the ttr will be too tall for him for a couple more years but maybe I can fit smaller rims for him to ride it sooner?
This bike has a couple of obvious electrical gremlins that I feel I should start with fixing, of course after draining the old fuel and swapping in a new spark plug.
The bike turns over when you press the kill switch on the left bar but the actual start button on the right side doesn't respond at all when pressed (maybe it would act as a kill switch and is just backwards?). I haven't yet checked for spark and haven't turned the fuel on, but there is compression when using the kick starter so I feel like this thing should fire up for me once I get fresh gas in and maybe a carb cleaning done.
The good (and bad) about this machine that I've figured out after a very brief once over - it has a brand new 19" Kenda Washougal 2 rear tire and a new 16" Chinese (Guangli or something like that) front tire.
The brakes work but are not rubbing or getting hung up while pushing the bike around.
The plastics all seem to be there, except the tail side plastics are removed and they have a couple broken tabs. The rear fender is cut off a few inches behind the seat and has a short fender extender piece bolted on including some aftermarket led brake/tail light.
It seems like the tail (subframe?) is tweaked a bit from straight.
There is a rectangular LED headlight bolted to the handlebar clamps and wired to a push button switch and it works.
The front brake lever is bent down and needs replaced.
The grips are in rough shape, with the handlebar ends being exposed - I'd think there should be a bar end of sorts so you don't impale yourself and take a plug of flesh out of your body when crashing?
The stock hand guards have been removed or are broken and there are aftermarket guards fitted.
I'm fairly mechanically inclined and am looking forward to getting this thing running and dialed in before next spring.
I also picked up a never worn Thor Quadrant 2 off road helmet for $50 about 2 miles from where I bought the bike, and was able to grab that on the way home!
Sorry the pics are out of sequence but this already took me far too long to write...
Any help and advice is appreciated!
Outerwear Textile Sleeve Grey Collar

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Sports gear Sports equipment

Attachments

·
Registered
Way too many to list....
292 Posts
TTRs Are simple bikes ,, No handguards , those are aftermarket ... Never had lights from factory , so all that electrical is added ..., I believe you have an 07 ..by looks .. Post serial number , 10 th. Digit is year of mfg..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a quick update, the tenth digit is a 3, so I guess this bike is a 2003 and is a bit older than I was told.
It'll be at least a couple weeks before I start tinkering with this little bike. The plan is still to first check for spark and clean the carb to get it running, then I'll clean and de-grease the whole thing and go from there.

·
Registered
Way too many to list....
292 Posts
These things are pretty much bulletproof , Simple , Get a PDF version of service manual @ Manualslib.com .. cheap , and easy . Subscription covers hundreds of bikes , appliances , cars , boats . ..., Your 2003 is a great bike . Just clean it up , and enjoy ..., Help is here ..., I have right now , 2003 - 05 - 07 - 09 - 2015 .... Most everything is interchangeable ..., Parts are plentiful ...., EBAY has most everything ..., Good luck ...,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These things are pretty much bulletproof , Simple , Get a PDF version of service manual @ Manualslib.com .. cheap , and easy . Subscription covers hundreds of bikes , appliances , cars , boats . ..., Your 2003 is a great bike . Just clean it up , and enjoy ..., Help is here ..., I have right now , 2003 - 05 - 07 - 09 - 2015 .... Most everything is interchangeable ..., Parts are plentiful ...., EBAY has most everything ..., Good luck ...,
Thank you! I'm glad that I signed up on such a helpful and active forum.
I'll be honest, I'm not one to sign up for subscription sites, so I'll be hunting for a free pdf manual... there must be one available?. In the meantime, do you have any thoughts on why the shutoff switch acts as the start button, and how to rectify this?
Also, I read in a thread that the stator doesn't put out enough voltage to run lights. The headlight and tail light are on a switch (not yet sure if they're fused, if they're hard wired to the battery, etc) do you figure I'm ok leaving these hooked up and installed?

·
Registered
Way too many to list....
292 Posts
Does yours have electric start ? Kill swirch should only control the ignition .. not starter ... lights are ok , if fused off battery , don't know how long battery will hold up . Never had lights on mine ...., Any of them ... Manualslib. Can be used as a temporary manual , .... but it only costs a couple if dollars for subscription ...,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is the LE with starter and kick start. The previous owner told me the buttons are backwards but I haven't looked at it.
I just went out and checked the air filter and found out it's soggy with oil and disintegrating. I pulled the nasty foam from the air box and gave it a quick shot of starting fluid and pressed the little red button on the left bar and it fired right up for two seconds. I am positive it'll purr with a carb clean and some fresh ethanol free gas.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the help and advise. Now that I know this bike runs and isn't messed up internally, I'm excited to get it running. I don't plan to do anything cosmetically beyond a deep cleaning. New air filter,
new brake lever, carb rebuild, basic chain maintenance, and a peek at the suspension is all I've got in mind.

·
Registered
Way too many to list....
292 Posts
It is the LE with starter and kick start. The previous owner told me the buttons are backwards but I haven't looked at it.
I just went out and checked the air filter and found out it's soggy with oil and disintegrating. I pulled the nasty foam from the air box and gave it a quick shot of starting fluid and pressed the little red button on the left bar and it fired right up for two seconds. I am positive it'll purr with a carb clean and some fresh ethanol free gas.
Just regular unleaded is fine .. Ethanol burn just as well .. Don't dwell on non ethanol ......,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In my trucks/ suv's, I run regular 87 but if I'm going to have gas sit in a carb or tank for more than a month or two without getting refreshed, I always use ethanol free. I keep a 5 gallon can on standby for my lawn tractor, rototiller, snow blower, and sailboat outboards. I'm not keen on tearing apart carbs annually. Buildup is especially bad in my 5 hp tohatsu 4 stroke outboard when I use regular.

·
Registered
Way too many to list....
292 Posts
I have no problem ,... Low humidity area , .. usually hot , dry , Nothing I have sits .., All bikes 12 + ,... Mowers , cars trucks , tractors , Everything runs at least once a week , If nothing else , just started and idled in place .. All bikes get the country block ride ... about 3 mi. ..,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Vehicle

I've got multiple small engines that sit for 5 or 6 months at a time. In November, I pull the batteries out of my riding mower, 2 boats, and bikes and put them on battery tenders.
I don't start engines unless I'm going for a mid-winter ride of at least 10 minutes. I've read that it can cause condensation in the tank and exhaust. I'm in Northwestern Pennsylvania, right between Ohio and New York and about 10 minutes south of Lake Erie. That pic is from a couple years ago, but we have over a foot of snow on the ground right now.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts