Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys! I have a 2002 2 stroke Yamaha 90hp that I am having some trouble with and was looking for some input. It is on a project boat and sat for 10-15 years without being run. I have replaced the fuel pump, cleaned the fuel filter, cleaned the carbs, replaced the spark plugs, and done all other things typical of a service. I am also using fresh non ethanol gas. It starts up without too much trouble and then idles slightly rough before either bogging and dying out or "sneezing" and proceeding to bog or die. I am still using the oil injection system and am not running premix. I am assuming that it is something to do with the fuel/carbs/mixture, but I am not sure and was wondering if anybody else had this issue. If I can figure out how to upload a video on here I will. Thanks for the help and have a nice day!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was able to upload two videos. There is an audible "ssk ssk ssk" every time that the motor turns over in the shorter video and a good example of the sneezing in the longer video.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What would be the best way to check that on the intake? Could it be an old or dry rotted gasket behind the carbs? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
479 Posts
What would be the best way to check that on the intake? Could it be an old or dry rotted gasket behind the carbs? Thanks!
Could be.
My guess would be carb's pilot jets or any very small passage still gunked up, especially if it dies when you try to give it gas, like dying off idle.
Sorry but I can't tell by the video if there is a vac leak. You could use a hose to your ear and listen around for a leak.

·
Administrator "Loose Nut" - From Houston, Texas
198 Posts
I take either brake or carb cleaner and spray around carb intake boots. If RPMs increase, you have a leak. Works great for me. Disclaimer: don’t smoke, be in open area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts