Yamaha Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since our automotive forum request is pending.. Let me post this in here for now :notetoself:

TOKYO -- Toyota Motor Corp. goes sporty at this months' Tokyo Motor Show, unveiling its vision for a sport coupe being jointly developed with Subaru.

The Toyota-badged car, dubbed the FT-86 Concept, is the spiritual successor to the AE86 sport coupe of the 1980s, which was based on the Corolla. Like its boxy predecessor, the FT-86 Concept is compact, lightweight and has a low center of gravity.

But the styling is modernised with a rounded, sleek silhouette.

The FT-86 is Toyota's concept for a sporty coupe being undertaken with Fuji Heavy Industries Inc., the company that manufactures Subaru vehicles. While it is fitted with a 2.0-liter boxer engine from Subaru, the overall design was created by Toyota's ED2 styling studio in France. Even the blue-red metallic paint was specially developed by Toyota.

Sports cars have to be red, but we wanted a new red, said chief engineer Tetsuya Tada. So we came up with shoujyouhi red, the traditional red color of a Japanese monkey's [backside].

Toyota and Fuji Heavy plan to start producing a sporty car in late 2011.

Toyota will be responsible for most of the engineering. Fuji Heavy will supply the horizontally opposed engine and manufacture the car at a Subaru plant.

The FT-86 seats four and has a front-engine, rear-drive layout. The boxer engine allows for a lower hood and gives the car a lower center of gravity.

Fuji Heavy won't comment on whether the FT-86 Concept is that car or not; Subaru won't be displaying a sports car at the Oct. 24-Nov. 4 Tokyo Motor Show. But the car clearly underscores new President Akio Toyoda's push for more muscular, fun-to-drive models.

Tada said Toyota wants the FT-86's sticker price to be in the $20,000 range. It won't sell if it's over 3 million yen ($30,000), he said. The price has to appeal to regular customers.

The car seats four and has a front-engine, rear-drive layout. The boxer engine allows for a lower hood and gives the FT-86 a lower centre of gravity. Key to the design was maximising fuel efficiency by reducing weight and creating a compact design, Tada said.

Tada also said it gets a dedicated chassis, noting that enthusiasts don't want a shared platform.

wow, this is like my current dream car. they finally built it.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
:dribble::dribble::dribble::dribble: I think I'm in love. Toyota+Subaru=Perfect. Not to mention it's right hand drive! This car is definitely a thing of beauty. Good find Shelly!

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Nice! Let's call this thing Toybaru = Toyota's and Subaru's 328is :)
Nissan already had an expensive one (g350z) and Mazda tried with the rx8. They are trying to get the cost under $20k if they can.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG5XY8wGJLw[/ame]

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
:dribble::dribble::dribble::dribble: I think I'm in love. Toyota+Subaru=Perfect. Not to mention it's right hand drive! This car is definitely a thing of beauty. Good find Shelly!
Hi
I Remember (back in 1980) when I was at the Yamaha factory, a lot of Toyota engine development was done by Yamaha, but as I have been 'out of the loop' since 1990 I would guess perhaps Yamaha could/would not develop the engines further and the Scoobie factory now do it ... but it is a discussion point on how far Yamaha developed Toyota's 'hot' engines thro the 60's,70's,80's
Regards Jim

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
I say toyota needs to bring back the supra. I guess there is no more toyota. Obama seems to have things dropping like flies worse than they were before. I always was into good ole american muscle way more than tuners but the supra and skyline are the exeptions in my book. Both are know to put out huge hp numbers when heavily modded.

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
+1 on the Supra and Skyline but for me a 300zx can do some incredible things as well.
HOWEVER, if I had the chance it would be a tough call for me on whether to get a Supra or a '70 Chevelle SS

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
I say toyota needs to bring back the supra. I guess there is no more toyota. Obama seems to have things dropping like flies worse than they were before. I always was into good ole american muscle way more than tuners but the supra and skyline are the exeptions in my book. Both are know to put out huge hp numbers when heavily modded.
Hi
Supra
Yamaha motor
watched them off the line at the Yamaha factory !
Regards Jim

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
+1 on the Supra and Skyline but for me a 300zx can do some incredible things as well.
HOWEVER, if I had the chance it would be a tough call for me on whether to get a Supra or a '70 Chevelle SS
Well I guess I would pick the car that had the most power to wheight ratio. Or if the Supra had some suspension work done to it I would take it over the SS also. Now cars that would beat the supra for me would be a cuda road runner or ......... TA DA the gto judge

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
Well I guess I would pick the car that had the most power to wheight ratio. Or if the Supra had some suspension work done to it I would take it over the SS also. Now cars that would beat the supra for me would be a cuda road runner or ......... TA DA the gto judge
Definitely great choices! Personally I'm a fan of the Jap cars as their reliability is 2nd no none but would definitely have a tough time turning down any of the cars you listed

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Do they stay reliable when you put cams and everything in them. Souped up cars tend to lose reliability as you go farther and farther. I would think they would be down all the time as high as they rev.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts