Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Today I let someone ride my Fizzy (see garage), who had passed the CBT (compulsory basic training = they can ride on the road under L plates) a few days ago ... don't allow this to happen if you own a bike that the gearbox shift pattern is away from the norm .... it tends to take some miles off the rear tyre & motor when the rider changes down rather than up !
Regards Jim

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
I learned to ride a bike on my '99 R6 when I got it late last year. This year, my buddy learned how to ride on it. Now since I got rid of it, my buddy will be riding my '07.
A lot of people say that a 600 bike is too big, but I personally think it's about how responsible somebody is.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow Jim, you are trusting to let some one new ride Fizzy! That is a great looking little bike!
Hi Maverick
it was my step son so I guess I needed to make allowances ... I'll post some new photo's at the weekend as the ones I'm using are a bit out of date ... looks better now than it did then
Regards Jim

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I learned to ride a bike on my '99 R6 when I got it late last year. This year, my buddy learned how to ride on it. Now since I got rid of it, my buddy will be riding my '07.
A lot of people say that a 600 bike is too big, but I personally think it's about how responsible somebody is.
coo that's different
to ride a bike bigger than 125 cc (here), before passing a test, you need to adhere to the following
Age 25 or older
Power limit 33 bhp
radio contact with an approved instructor/examiner on a bike following you
if you take a test at this point you will get an 'A' full licence which allows you to ride a bike of unlimited bhp without supervision or if you take the test on a 125cc or smaller bike (age limit reduced to 17) you get an 'A1' licence which allows you to ride a bike unsupervised of 33bhp which after 2 years will mature to an 'A' licence (unlimited) if you have not received any endorsements within that period ..... confused ? I am .... glad I don't have to do it again !!!!
Regards Jim

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
Nothing like that here Jim. I think the rule in my state is that you need to have a permit (which you get after passing a 20 question written test) when you go to take your driving test. Page 37 and 38 show what you need to do to pass the test: Illinois Motorcycle hand guide
Once you pass the test you are all set.
On the permit however, you are allowed to ride anything you want, as long you have someone by your side (on their own motorcycle) at all times and you cannot ride at night or with a passenger. But all that goes out the window once you get your license

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing like that here Jim. I think the rule in my state is that you need to have a permit (which you get after passing a 20 question written test) when you go to take your driving test. Page 37 and 38 show what you need to do to pass the test: Illinois Motorcycle hand guide
Once you pass the test you are all set.
On the permit however, you are allowed to ride anything you want, as long you have someone by your side (on their own motorcycle) at all times and you cannot ride at night or with a passenger. But all that goes out the window once you get your license
Hi Chris,
how do get a full licence ?
I guess I missed it in the doc
Regards Jim

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
Steps:
-Go to DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles)
-Get a permit (get 80 percent of 20 questions right on a written test)
-With a permit you are allowed to ride any kind of bike you want, as long as you have someone riding a motorcycle next to you at all times, no riding at night and no riding with a passenger
-When you are comfortable to take the riding test, you go back to DMV and complete the riding test (page 37 & 38)
-Once you pass the test, you get your full license and can ride when and with who you want

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steps:

-When you are comfortable to take the riding test, you go back to DMV and complete the riding test (page 37 & 38)
-Once you pass the test, you get your full license and can ride when and with who you want
Hi Chris,
got it now so your full test is about the same as our CBT (the one you have to pass before you can ride on the road). We have a written test of 100 questions of which you need 60% pass rate within 45 minutes, then you need another off road test about the same as your test, slightly more difficult as your test is closer to the cbt. there after a road test followed by an examiner who gives you a route to follow (via headset) and marks you on actual roadcraft . I'm wondering if I spend some cash sending the stepson over to you to pass the test and having it translated to a full (A) licence on his return to the UK .... I guess it would be cheaper
Regards Jim

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
I don't know about cheaper. I'm sure the flight over here would kinda cancel out the cheaper idea. Also keep in mind, that each state has a different test. California for example is insanely hard to pass on a SS bike, whereas here in Illinois it's possible

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know about cheaper. I'm sure the flight over here would kinda cancel out the cheaper idea. Also keep in mind, that each state has a different test. California for example is insanely hard to pass on a SS bike, whereas here in Illinois it's possible
Hi Chris,
£100 flight then as long as the hotel costs don't cost to much and the test cost is say $100 I guess that would be less than the £1000 it would cost here plus you get a bit of a holiday out of it !
Regards Jim

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
The test (here in Illinois costs nothing). The biggest problem you will probably run into is the fact that you need to live in the state that you are applying to get a license in. Here are the things you will need in order to get a drivers license: Required documents
Keep in mind that you need a permit first and also the things I am showing you only apply to Illinois and rules/regulations change by state

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The test (here in Illinois costs nothing). The biggest problem you will probably run into is the fact that you need to live in the state that you are applying to get a license in. Here are the things you will need in order to get a drivers license: Required documents
Keep in mind that you need a permit first and also the things I am showing you only apply to Illinois and rules/regulations change by state
Hi Chris,
so you need
Duplicate/Corrected Drivers License/Identification Card: An applicant applying for either a duplicate or corrected Drivers License or Identification Card must present one form of identification from Group A, and at least one form from either Groups B, C, or D. Temporary Visitor's Driver's License applicants are not required to present documents from group C. Instead, they shall submit a letter on Social Security Administration letterhead, issued 90 days prior to the date of application, verifying ineligibility for a social security number.
Groups A & B
I-688
(Temporary Resident Card)
Group C doesn't apply
Group D
An address in the state (most difficult one) unless you can use a hotel address
what's your thoughts ?
Regards Jim

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
Well, he will not be getting a duplicate drivers license. From what I understand, you want to get your stepson a drivers license here instead of in the UK. If that's what you are wanting to do, you will be getting a new drivers license, not a duplicate.
Does your stepson have a credit card that he gets a bill from the company? Because you can use that as proof of residency. What I would try with that, is if you know anyone here, have the credit card company send out the bill to them for a month or two and then this way you can take that into the DMV when you go for the permit and then for the actual drivers license

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's even easier in Wisconsin.

1: Go to DMV and pass Computer-based (Written) test for permit (less than 50 questions) Cost $32 and you only pay if you pass.

2. You can ride whatever you want, however you must ride alone, wear a helmet (until you're licensed), and not ride at night, Then:

Pay $230 and take the basic rider safety course, get your certificate and bypass the road test, or

Take and pass the DMV road test :banana:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts