Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
My Name is Jim and have worked with Yamaha products (within a Dealership) since the middle 70's. perhaps I'm old but I cannot see the point of the tag lines displaying how the bikes have been pimped .... if Yamaha didn't do it right in the first place complain to them rather than throw money at add ons .. sorry to be so negative but I cannot see the point ?
Regards Jim

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
To each their own. Have you ever owned a muscle car back in the 60's or 70's? If you have, did you modify the engine at all? If not, did you have the same opinion back then when people were modifying their cars? Or do you have the same opinion to cars these days?

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Don't feel sorry for joining we are lad to have someone like you with such background. However this forums are a social forums for all Yamaha enthusiasts but not limited to Yami products. We are not affiliated to Yamaha company in anyway, so feel free also to critique their products as well or whatever you feel like.
I hope you are enjoying your time here.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't feel sorry for joining we are lad to have someone like you with such background. However this forums are a social forums for all Yamaha enthusiasts but not limited to Yami products. We are not affiliated to Yamaha company in anyway, so feel free also to critique their products as well or whatever you feel like.
I hope you are enjoying your time here.
If yamaha produced a dog I was/am very vocal of the point, for example the 1999 R1 it ran like poo , was over braked and couldn't carry a pillion that was happy .... but I guess the newer bikes now run OK but in the UK (my) pillion would not even sit on one so I guess a modern bike is out of the question
Regards Jim

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To each their own. Have you ever owned a muscle car back in the 60's or 70's? If you have, did you modify the engine at all? If not, did you have the same opinion back then when people were modifying their cars? Or do you have the same opinion to cars these days?
Hi,
Cars ... I don't do Cars my life has been run around bikes ... but as I guess I'm old your vision is a bit different to mine can you explain why you need to advertise the mods you have done rather than have the smug smile as you out break/steer/accelerate some of the random bikes because of the (not needed extras) .. whatever .... see BBC R2 poll
Regards Jim

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
The main reason why I wrote down mods that I have made is because people will a lot of the time ask what upgrades I have made to the bike. It might be that me and you are of different mentalities, but I can't remember the last time a company came out with a product that EVERYONE was happy with. Not saying I'm not happy with the R6, just saying that I want to make it different than the guy that will be riding a white one right next to mine.
I'd say about 99% of people I have met that have R6's have taken off their stock fender and put on some type of fender eliminator. Why? Because to us, it looks ugly. Why does Yamaha still make it that way? To comply with laws, but I'm sure it's also to help out the aftermarket industry.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The main reason why I wrote down mods that I have made is because people will a lot of the time ask what upgrades I have made to the bike. It might be that me and you are of different mentalities, but I can't remember the last time a company came out with a product that EVERYONE was happy with. Not saying I'm not happy with the R6, just saying that I want to make it different than the guy that will be riding a white one right next to mine.
I'd say about 99% of people I have met that have R6's have taken off their stock fender and put on some type of fender eliminator. Why? Because to us, it looks ugly. Why does Yamaha still make it that way? To comply with laws, but I'm sure it's also to help out the aftermarket industry.
Hi
Perhaps you are right .. but if it's not right out of the box the manufacturer should need to know in order to improve their product I guess it could be said that they could read info and work out where they have gone wrong but tbh can we talk about modding an R5 rather than R6 as I tend to know a bit more on that subject.
Regards JIm
http://www.scottgatzke.com/images/Motorcycles/YAMAHA_R5_350.jpg

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
I think that's where the problem comes in, you know about the vintage bikes and I know about the current bikes. I have NO CLUE (sadly, I wish I did) about vintage bikes. I know a good amount about the R6's, which started they're life here in the states with the release in '99.
I can't/won't tell anybody to modify a 1960's bike because it's a classic. Much like I would never tell anybody to modify a beautiful 1969 Chevrolet Camaro (whether it's the RS version or the SS version), because it's a classic also.
Sorry that I'm making a lot of analogies to cars, but it's the best thing I can compare to since a Mustang for example has been around since the 60's whereas a "SS (supersport)" bike has been around mainly since around the 2000's (R6 launched in '99, the R1 launched I believe around the same time).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, To start never be ashamed of your personal opinion. I guess an easy way to explain the mods put on or into a personal bike is that.. It tends to make it more your own. I have a 1970 chevy pick up she is my baby, For the most part its pretty stock but what I have added just makes her more mine, engine up grades and some minor changes in apearance. as for the atv's and such its not that yamaha did it wrong persay its just that there are aftermarket things that can make improvments over what yamaha is actually aloud to do to a bike or whatnot. Also as for posting them or talking about them, many ppl like to toy or tinker with things and it is just a way of sharing info from one enthusist to another. As an example I have a 2003 banshee that has been built from the frame up, for more of my riding style the look that I was going for and better reliability, not everyone would appreciate a bike like mine. I hope this explains a little better. sorry about the spelling not my best subject :ermm:

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I agree with what everybody has said. There is beauty in stock as well as in modded. Yamaha is taking note on what people are doing to their rides. For example, I know that when you buy a brand new Yamaha Raptor, you can get it with a PC5 installed from the factory, which was originally an aftermarket mod. It's the same thing with accessories. They build a quality product, but they also sell all of the GYTR accessories. There is money to be made by them. Who wants to buy a stock quad ( with all of Yamaha's GYTR accessories) for 15-20K, when we can spend 7-8K, enjoy it, and build on as money allows. If it were a vintage bike, I would rather keep it all original. They are a thing of beauty. But with todays machines, they are made to be modded. What would the world be without the NHRA or the PMRA? To each their own. And with listing mods, I see it as a way for everybody to see what some more options are out there when they want to uprade their vehicle. If I have an aftermarket item on my Raptor that somebody is curious about, and they see that I have it, then they can ask me what my oppinion of it is. Do you have any pics of your past and present bikes? If so I'm sure we would all love to see them. But anyway, welcome to the forum. I'm sure as the site grows, then so will the vintage section. :howdy:

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree with what everybody has said. There is beauty in stock as well as in modded. Yamaha is taking note on what people are doing to their rides. For example, I know that when you buy a brand new Yamaha Raptor, you can get it with a PC5 installed from the factory, which was originally an aftermarket mod. It's the same thing with accessories. They build a quality product, but they also sell all of the GYTR accessories. There is money to be made by them. Who wants to buy a stock quad ( with all of Yamaha's GYTR accessories) for 15-20K, when we can spend 7-8K, enjoy it, and build on as money allows. If it were a vintage bike, I would rather keep it all original. They are a thing of beauty. But with todays machines, they are made to be modded. What would the world be without the NHRA or the PMRA? To each their own. And with listing mods, I see it as a way for everybody to see what some more options are out there when they want to uprade their vehicle. If I have an aftermarket item on my Raptor that somebody is curious about, and they see that I have it, then they can ask me what my oppinion of it is. Do you have any pics of your past and present bikes? If so I'm sure we would all love to see them. But anyway, welcome to the forum. I'm sure as the site grows, then so will the vintage section. :howdy:
Hi,
don't forget the 60's/70's bikes were the same to me as R1's/R6's are to you ... so in 30 years your comments of 60/70's my fit the 90's/2000's bikes. In the past I have altered L1's, R5's, DS7's, & CS2's to improve them but you are saying that should not have been done (mind you in those days it was a porting job on the barrel, alterations to carbs and if you were rich some Hagon rear shocks)... the upshot is :- its ok to mod the classics of the future but bad to mod the classics of the past ? or did I read it wrong ?
Regards Jim

·
Registered
36 Posts
:stop:So I guess when we buy a house and don't like the way the contractor built it we would either not buy it or just deal with it? Well considering I make a living doing remodels that makes no sence to me. Matter of fact the day I bought my truck I had tires,custom wheels, performance exshaust and air system plus had it lowered. It's something I like and the dealer doesnt make. Differant ideas and views are important. Who wants to drive the very same bike, truck or whatever that everyone esle has. "Person"ality! Just my $.02

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Hi,
don't forget the 60's/70's bikes were the same to me as R1's/R6's are to you ... so in 30 years your comments of 60/70's my fit the 90's/2000's bikes. In the past I have altered L1's, R5's, DS7's, & CS2's to improve them but you are saying that should not have been done (mind you in those days it was a porting job on the barrel, alterations to carbs and if you were rich some Hagon rear shocks)... the upshot is :- its ok to mod the classics of the future but bad to mod the classics of the past ? or did I read it wrong ?
Regards Jim
I'm just saying that to me classic vehicles look better original. Just my opinion. But I also like when people mod them like anything else. Just a matter of taste. Everybody will make their own ride to match their personality, and they (rides) are all beautiful in their own way. I personally have never owned a motorcycle of any type, so I don't know about mods to them, or whats stock and whats not. If I like how they look then I will voice it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Jim,

The reason people modify their bikes is because Yamaha cannot make (for example) 1 R6 that fits everyones needs.

I race, There are a ton of mods I must do to make the bike work to it's highest potential. If you put my race mods on a street bike it would not be enjoyable to ride. Yamaha cant make a suspension that fits everyones needs, they cant make an exhaust that catches everyones eye because of EPA standards. A bike should also be beautifull to the eye, everyone has different eye.

Aftermarket bake levers make a great difference in the bike but not everyone would notice the difference. Steel braided brake lines not only add beauty but purpose but to the average street rider they wouldnt feel the difference. Lots of important upgrades that would really put the bike out of reach price wise to the average consumer. Well that and put those of us who make a living on aftermarket part out of business. Remember, the aftermarket engineering ends up on many bikes as OEM after a bit of time.

So many modifications to make the bike right for the individual that Yamaha couldnt possibly make that happen. Their job is to give us a quality canvas, what we paint on it is up to our imagination. Yamaha built the bike right... we just make them better for what we do with them.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Hi
Perhaps you are right .. but if it's not right out of the box the manufacturer should need to know in order to improve their product I guess it could be said that they could read info and work out where they have gone wrong but tbh can we talk about modding an R5 rather than R6 as I tend to know a bit more on that subject.
Regards JIm
Oh the big 4 know believe me. They just fail to improve where they need to.
Racers that proove what mods work have voiced their opinion on what upgrades need to happen. Its not happening.

If I wanted a performance bike out of the box I would move up to a Ducati.

Thats my opinion and its not going to change.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
I dont know if all we are talking about is street bikes, but my YFZ right now kicks a YFZ's @ss out the box by a 150%. Just about every up grade I have done to my bike has increased the performance of my bike for racing. I am no way saying it is nessary to do all the up grades you can, but with what I do it is nessary. So that is my reason for all of my up grades.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I dont know if all we are talking about is street bikes, but my YFZ right now kicks a YFZ's @ss out the box by a 150%. Just about every up grade I have done to my bike has increased the performance of my bike for racing. I am no way saying it is nessary to do all the up grades you can, but with what I do it is nessary. So that is my reason for all of my up grades.
Ok for racing there may be a need to be competitive, or have the edge ? but on the road whats the point ? I guess the US speed limit is 55 mph (out of the box I guess an R6 could exceed this in first gear) so I guess you don't need to tune the motor any more ... unless the rider intends to break the law (big style) from using the investment laid on engine improvements .. then the next thing I don't see is the bike has a red light to the rear that passed type approval into the country of intended use, a super bright LED lamp is fitted,only, just, I guess, to dazzle the rider/driver behind you (I've followed a few machines with such instruments of torture fitted, no fun when your blinded by a light that is too powerful) and to what point ? .... so you can say you have one and can annoy other road users ? or because its more pleasing to the eye and sod anyone else on the road ? Parts with emblems on, what improvement do they make ? Wheels ... if they are lighter will reduce the unsprung weight which in turn may help the steering but they could just look nicer than the OE ones ... Tyres ... who needs to know if I have a £200 pair of tyres & they work why do I need to buy a £500 pair that work the same & cost that much more ? (beats me) unless you need the qudos of a £500 pair ? just class me as old but I would rather keep the money in the bank rather than adding bits that cost me money for, perhaps, no advantage rather than giving the aftermarket people money
regards Jim

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
Not everybody uses their street bike for ONLY streets. At lot of guys here use their street bike as a rider on local streets AS WELL AS track. That's where tires will come in handy as well as performance upgrades. As far as the fact you made about the taillight, for me it's about getting rid of the stock tail. The stock tail has a seperate brake light and seperate turn signals. I wanted to clean up the back end of the bike so I got an integrated taillight. Is it bright? Maybe. Does it look cleaner than stock? To me it does, and a lot of other people as that is one of the 1st mods that people make these days.
I think you hit the nail on the head in your last sentence. You seem to be more of the save money mindset, enjoy your money on things you NEED (not want), whereas most people that I know are into spending money (not all, but some) on their passion - their bikes.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Im talking about
Street bikes
Quads
Dirt bikes
Watercraft.

I cant imagine teh big 4 putting all the hipo stuff on off the shelf models. Then the cost would be double of most of what they sell.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A Long Boring Reply From an Oldie

Not everybody uses their street bike for ONLY streets. At lot of guys here use their street bike as a rider on local streets AS WELL AS track. That's where tires will come in handy as well as performance upgrades. As far as the fact you made about the taillight, for me it's about getting rid of the stock tail. The stock tail has a seperate brake light and seperate turn signals. I wanted to clean up the back end of the bike so I got an integrated taillight. Is it bright? Maybe. Does it look cleaner than stock? To me it does, and a lot of other people as that is one of the 1st mods that people make these days.
I think you hit the nail on the head in your last sentence. You seem to be more of the save money mindset, enjoy your money on things you NEED (not want), whereas most people that I know are into spending money (not all, but some) on their passion - their bikes.
Hi,
Your points are noted ... I would guess having one bike for road riding & one for the track would be better or multiples thereof ... to date I have spent money on building a garage of bikes that suit a purpose rather than trying to make a 'jack of all trades' (sorry dirt bike owners R6's do not do Green lanes but dirt bikes do) I have the following :-
Xj900s Diversion - Tourer
FS1 -Cult UK machine of the 70's
TZR125 - flickable small bike that brakes all UK speed limits
DR450 (Suzuki) - green lane bike
XT225 Serrow - Field bike
XT600Z - to get to work on & fill the tank once a month
T250 Hustler (Suzuki) coz I bought it to have an old sports bike .... £1000 if any one wants it !
Thunderace - looks nice but it's not used to much
Bultaco 250 - trials bike, to do the odd trial on
the list can go on .... so therefore my money has been spent on the same passion but rather than put all my 'eggs in one basket' I choose bikes to do a function (bar the Hustler). But I can see the 'one bike does all' syndrome which it will not.
To Insure these Bikes costs about £1000, road fund licence costs (for the full lot) £700, MOT certs cost £200 (all per year) ... having a bike to suit whatever mood I'm in is better than throwing money at one ... but I will take on board that the cost of ownership may be greater in your country and having 12 bikes on the road/field may cost you more. The upshoot is ... it would appear in your part of the world you add to one bike rather than getting a few bikes around you that suits the mood ..... I cannot see anything worse than riding to work on a sports bike with all the kit on .... all you need is a school run mum to pull out & trash it ... its all gone hence the XT600z which has done bumps and meated out more damage than taken. Each to their own
Regards Jim

1 - 20 of 24 Posts