Yamaha Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I recently replaced a bad starter clutch in a 2007 Silverado 1100 XVS. The bike started right up after the install and had no odd noises. I let it warm up for a bit then took it for about a 15 minute ride not exceeding 55 mph. The bike rode better than it had in years and I noticed no odd noises I did notice a mechanical engine smell. When i finished the ride I noticed whitish smoke coming from the header pipe. I tested it again after it cooled just holding the RPMs up and the smoke and smell came back. I took extra precaution and followed the manual to ensure I had the timing right. Anyone have experience with this or have thoughts on the issue? Maybe just from having the crankcase open its excess oil burning off or the new gasket breaking in, or not sealing properly? I am worried that I may have jacked something up and don't want to warp the head or pistons if somethings not right. Any advice is appreciated!

·
Administrator "Loose Nut" - From Houston, Texas
33 Posts
I've replaced several starter clutches and never had this issue. Sounds like oil that was leaked from having case open is just burning off. Is the smoke coming from higher or lower on the header pipe. If lower, chech for oil leak at bottom of case. If higher on pipe, closer to head, look at tappet cover for leaks. Let us know what you find. Can you post video of picture of problem area?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your info! It appears to be coming from higher, coming out of the exhaust joint. I have included a stock photo
with the location circled, Iam away for work for a few days but will post a video when I return in a few days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts