Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 2013 FX SHO with only 160hrs. I noticed some salt buildup on the exhaust manifold gasket for several months. now the ski wont turn over as if its seized. I pulled the plugs and found that the 3rd cylinder has some rust on the plug. I'm thinking it leaked through the water jacket. If so would it have only gone in the combustion chamber? How bad would this be? There isnt a single shop on big island that will work on waverunners. ill need to do this myself. ive pulled and engine and replaced it with a remanufactured in another ski before, i can handle some minor engine work. any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
416 Posts
Hi all, I have a 2013 FX SHO with only 160hrs. I noticed some salt buildup on the exhaust manifold gasket for several months. now the ski wont turn over as if its seized. I pulled the plugs and found that the 3rd cylinder has some rust on the plug. I'm thinking it leaked through the water jacket. If so would it have only gone in the combustion chamber? How bad would this be? There isnt a single shop on big island that will work on waverunners. ill need to do this myself. ive pulled and engine and replaced it with a remanufactured in another ski before, i can handle some minor engine work. any help would be greatly appreciated.
If it truly is seized not much you can do other than open it up and have a look. Being the kind of guy that lives on the edge I would put a few ounces of some thin oil like Marvel in the cylinders and try cranking it by hand. If it frees I would fire her up and see what happens. I think you've got nothing to loose, you know?

p.s. A cheap borescope would be nice to look in the cylinder to see what it looks like too. Those things can be had off of Amazon for like 20 bucks now. I got a cheap one that plugs into my laptop's USB and it works great.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts