Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all ! I’m new to motorcycles I wanna restore one as my first bike probably a bad move but wanna restore my wife’s recently deceased grandfather’s bike. The grandmother doesn’t really know what type of model the bike is and she’s still trying to find the title of the bike but in the time being I would like to ask for some help.

I know the bike is pre1981 because of how many numbers are on the vin but personally can’t tell if it’s a YB100 or DX100 or it could be something else here’s some rough pictures of the bike.I also don’t know how to read the vin to help me find which model it is.
Automotive fuel system Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive parking light
Tire Wheel Motorcycle Fuel tank Bicycle tire
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Hood
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas Auto part
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Rim Gas
Motor vehicle Vehicle Light Speedometer Gauge
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Fender Gas
I’
Grille Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle
Tire Automotive fuel system Motorcycle Automotive tire Hood

·
Administrator "Loose Nut" - From Houston, Texas
129 Posts
I'm usually pretty good at VIN numbers, wife works at a court house. Being a vintage bike we hit a brick wall. But found this on another forum. The number is good, I called, but closed on weekends.

Rectangle Font Circle Number Paper product

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called the Yamaha rep they couldn’t find the vin but the close thing they can make out of it is 1976 RS100 and I think they got it right.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all ! I’m new to motorcycles I wanna restore one as my first bike probably a bad move but wanna restore my wife’s recently deceased grandfather’s bike. The grandmother doesn’t really know what type of model the bike is and she’s still trying to find the title of the bike but in the time being I would like to ask for some help.

I know the bike is pre1981 because of how many numbers are on the vin but personally can’t tell if it’s a YB100 or DX100 or it could be something else here’s some rough pictures of the bike.I also don’t know how to read the vin to help me find which model it is. View attachment 1691 View attachment 1692 View attachment 1693 View attachment 1694 View attachment 1695 View attachment 1696 View attachment 1697 I’ View attachment 1698 View attachment 1699
I personally would not restore it. Give it a good clean and polish, drain the gas tank, change the oil and filter, clean the spark plug, charge or replace the battery put some fresh gas in it and see if it starts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I literally sold the Enduro version of the same bike last week. It was a 1974 DT 100. Same drivetrain, bla bla bla. Different color.
Clean out the gas tank, put in new points , condenser, spark plug and change the air filter. If it’s been sitting very long, the foam wrap around the paper filter will be all crumbly. Get rid of it.
Buy Only Japan manufactured points and condenser. Air filter, manuracteuer isn’t as important. You may have to wait on them but the Chinese ones are junk. They’re more available but they’re quality is crap. Same if need carburetor parts. Be careful with the float! My Mechanic told me they are made out of “unobtainimum”. Needle and seat are pretty easy to get.
Fun little bikes! I agree with the other guys, no real need to restore. Clean, polish, tune up and ride!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ve thought about it for a while and yeah I’ll just clean it up for the time being.Current issue I found is the kick start shaft on the bike the teeth are kinda smooshed and the teeth are almost nonexistent on the Kickstarter so currently on the hunt for those two parts.
White Font Fluid Technology Circle
Vertebrate Gesture Font Line Ear

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You could , just spot weld it for the time being ....
I could but I don’t have a welding machine at all and if decide to replace the part that are welded it suck to remove. I feel best option buy those two parts replace with new and not have to worry about it again (hopefully).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts