Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in need of some help. I have a '97 Big Bear that I've never had a bit of trouble with. Now all of a sudden it started making a burping sound through the carberator or the exhaust. I cleaned the carb. and this seemed to correct the issue for awhile but it started doing it again and now it won't start. Does not seem to be getting fuel. So if someone could give some help I'd really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
When you cleaned the carb, did you take it apart? If idle is set too low, it won't start. Have you tried starting it with the choke on or off?

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Well it could be a stuck valve and it could be pushing exhaust back through the carb (burping sound) This would also not allow the cylinder to cause a vacuum and it wouldn't suck fuel in. Just a possible cause. Possible it could also be a stuck float.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took the carb apart when I cleaned it. What is the setting for the idle screw? I guess I'll take it apart again and start over.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well man don't keep it a secret tell me how to adjust the valves. I just finished cleaning the carb again. I can't believe how dirty the inside was just with the gas sitting in it for a couple of weeks. It starts but burps through the carb.:dunno: I'm lost...

·
Registered
10 Posts
U need the specs, and a set of feeler guages. I dont have the specs.

But other wise. Remove whatever is necessary to get maximum access to th cylinder head. There will be plugs on the head with a hex head on the front and back. Remove those and you will see the rocker arm. You will see a nut and a little slotted pin. loosent the nut and turn the slotted pin in or out to achieve the correct clearance.

BTW a dealer should be able to tell you the specs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help. I found the specs with instructions on another site. I'll check the current valve settings and hope that does the trick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts