Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got any input on the R1? I currently have a pair of 6's and they are great for the streets. Fell in love with the white '09 R1 when it came out and am now talking with my local dealer about getting one before summer comes. I know the R1 is gonna have a good amount more power, but is it practical for mainly city riding?

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
How much bigger/heavier is it than the R6? I would just think it would take a bigger person to throw it around and become more of a hassel than anything. I'm only 140 pounds so I like to ride a YZ 125 over a YZ 250 anyday cause I can handle it alot beter and not wear myself out doing it. Same princaple should apply here if the R1 is alot bigger. How tall/weight are you.

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually not a HUGE difference.
Comparison

Key differences (besides power and engine):
R1 weighs 40 pounds more which isn't much
R1 seat height is actually lower than on the 6 - 32.8" on the R1 vs 33.5" on the R6

I've sat on the R1 at my dealer and it actually fits a little better but wonder if I'm gonna hate it because of the extra power

·
Registered
2 Posts
Actually not a HUGE difference.
Comparison

Key differences (besides power and engine):
R1 weighs 40 pounds more which isn't much
R1 seat height is actually lower than on the 6 - 32.8" on the R1 vs 33.5" on the R6

I've sat on the R1 at my dealer and it actually fits a little better but wonder if I'm gonna hate it because of the extra power
ive owned o9 r1 (black)for around 3 months and ive also test rode the r6 and i think ur ganna love the whole package it handles better than the r6 and you have power up ur sleave, if at first the torque of the new cross plane crank shaft motor is to much you can change the map to b mode and it drops power dramaticly its like having traction control, and when ur ready go standard, and when ur confident go A mode (race) for the ride of ur life.you'll never look back......trust me

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so after going to IMS yesterday I'm now torn between the R1 or getting an 848. I know the Duc is uncomfortable and expensive, but for the extra $2k on the Duc I do get Marchesini wheels which if I was to put on the R1 it would be about the same price. Obviously lose a little power but get something that most people will not see on the roads daily.
Last year I only put on about 3500 miles on my 6 so I'm not too worried about comfort as I don't have a lot of time to ride. Just looking at adding something to my little garage of toys.
Any opinions on the Ducati 848? Test rides, what you've heard or read, anything?

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Ok, so after going to IMS yesterday I'm now torn between the R1 or getting an 848. I know the Duc is uncomfortable and expensive, but for the extra $2k on the Duc I do get Marchesini wheels which if I was to put on the R1 it would be about the same price. Obviously lose a little power but get something that most people will not see on the roads daily.
Last year I only put on about 3500 miles on my 6 so I'm not too worried about comfort as I don't have a lot of time to ride. Just looking at adding something to my little garage of toys.
Any opinions on the Ducati 848? Test rides, what you've heard or read, anything?
don't even think of the eyetie stuff if you get one I guess you will regret it !!! :smirk:

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Really, why is that? I know it's a much different breed from the R6 and like I said above (not the most comfortable) but what else is there that I should factor into the equation Jim?

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Really, why is that? I know it's a much different breed from the R6 and like I said above (not the most comfortable) but what else is there that I should factor into the equation Jim?
Well...
European bikes have always been a stage below the Jap stuff I would suggest the Duke dealer gives you a 3 day test ride .. you will see that the Duke is good but a little rough around the edges... it may handle better than the Yam but you may miss the slick Yamaha bike. To be fair I have not ridden the Duke you have in mind, and it may be much better than the products they produced in the past, but all things considered if they out stripped the Jap bikes their sales would reflect this !
Regards Jim

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wish I had a dealership around me that would let me test ride the 2 bikes I'm looking at. If that was the case I'd have my mind made up about which bike I'd most likely be picking up. However, most dealers here won't let you just a bike out for a spin (especially for a few days) unless you got some connections

·
Registered
2 Posts
Buy a the yamaha

i own a 848 right now and selling to buy the R1....
the 848 is not very street friendly, yes it's light but not comfortable i found it difficult to ride more like of a task than fun..
but its wicked in corners with lots of torque a great track bike met to ride hard if thats you think fine i am a new rider and went stright for the Ducati big mistake not to mention its harder to sell in my country...

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i own a 848 right now and selling to buy the R1....
the 848 is not very street friendly, yes it's light but not comfortable i found it difficult to ride more like of a task than fun..
but its wicked in corners with lots of torque a great track bike met to ride hard if thats you think fine i am a new rider and went stright for the Ducati big mistake not to mention its harder to sell in my country...
Thanks for the input. However, if you're a new rider then going to the R1 is a big mistake. That thing has more power compared to the 848 not to mention that its a bulkier machine. Is the 848 your first bike?

And welcome to the forum, start up a thread to introduce yourself and of course the bike :worthy:

·
Registered
2 Posts
actually i use to ride a 2006 CBR 1000 (not my bike but kept it for 5mths ) and it was way easier to ride than the ducati the power is not the problem the weight is not really and issue the low end torque on the ducati is not forgiving and you really can make a gear mistake well thats my taught may be my bike had some problem i bought it used and there are only 5 here in trinidad so i had notthing to compare it to

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea, I've heard that the Duc's have a lot of power down low. I'm hoping to get my hands on one so I can actually see what the thing rides like.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That difference of power in lows (and viceversa in highs) is just the one between a 2 cylinders engine and a 4 ones one...

When I left my ex-CBR600F, I had the same doubt... R1, 848, R6... The first of them falling out of the candidates list was the 848... It was 5000€ more expensive than the R6R and , had only 5BHP more than the R6R, more expensive maintenance (although periodical revisions are to be passed every 12000kms, instead of the 10000km of the Yamis) than both Yamis and was a 2 cylinder one ( I prefer the soft and clean reaction of 4 cylinders engines and their "final kick"...) I decided 2 cylinders were not for me after riding my brother´s ex-Ducati 749... (Old sister of the 848.) Then I went for my R6R because aI found it more "reasonable" for the use I made of it... Weekend Road riding and just racetrack riding once a year (twice if I´m lucky)... I thought R1 189BHP/220Kg was something excesive against the R6R 135BHP/200kg... Of course, the more than 3000€ between them were also considered as a decission factor (even more by my wife...) As of today I am quite convinced I did right!!!

In your case, having 2 R6R´s... I would probably go for... Something different (a nice naked/custom or even an off-road one)... I mean, do you think you´ll use the R6R if you get a R1... I don´t think so...

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree with you about a few points.
-Maintenance expenses. I spoke with my local dealer and he told me that the new Duc's are no longer insanely expensive in terms of maintenance. He compared my R6 vs the 848 and for the same mileage (12000 miles) the Duc would only be about $400 more. Seeing how I do about 3500 miles/year, the extra $100/year isn't all that horrible.
-Extra pricetag. Even though the Duc is an extra $4k, it is WELL worth it. You get Marchesini wheels, more hp and torque and a bike that will DEFINITELY stick out wherever you go.

As far as me using the R6 if I get the R1, I'm sure it will be used. The nice thing about the R6 is the agility of it. It can be tossed around like its nothing. The R1 would probably be used for longer rides, whereas the R6 would be used for around town.
Hopefully I'll be able to get the R1 around the end of the year (maybe a little Christmas present for myself :))

1 - 20 of 23 Posts