Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I hope that this won’t just start a flame war. It has to do with motor oils.

We see motorcycle oils have the Japanese motorcycle JASO rating, but this is really for liquid clutch bikes where the clutch and motor shares the same circulating oil. Since the Zuma has a separate motor and final gear setup perhaps using a regular motor oil without a JASO rating would be fine (definitely a lot cheaper).

I know that the JASO oils have other motorcycle-specific additives, but are they that much different from regular motor oils that don’t have a wet clutch?

I’ve also heard that people are just using regular motor oil instead of gear oils in the final gear oil part. Since everything is separate, perhaps this is a case where we don’t need to buy into the JASO oils. I know, we’re talking about lubricating a small motor taking our fat asses 60 MPH (96 kmh) for hours. Maybe it really needs that better, more expensive oils in this case.

Thanks for your opinions.

— Rick

·
Administrator "Loose Nut" - From Houston, Texas
198 Posts
My 50 plus years of experience on motorcycle and small engine oils, or any motor, run the oil the manufacturers engineers designed the motor to use. Is the small amount saved buying a non spec fluid that might work really the chance?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have 40yr old 50w racing and use any other oil around to top off the crankcase. I find that I have very clean oil filter pleats, and that tells me that oil is oil, and additives are just vegetable oils mixed with compressed animal and vegetable matter millions of years ago and there you go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts