Yamaha Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

This is my first post, just joined.
I've been doing my research and am really falling towards the R6. Maybe 2010 or if i get lucky a 2011.
What do you guys think about that bike for a first timer like myself?

Let me know

Thanks

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
:ballerina: Welcome to the forum.

All depends on your maturity level. Personally, I started out on a used '99 R6 as my 1st bike. I had a buddy start out on an '05 cbr f4i (600cc) and a couple other buddies started out on r6's.
I always tell people that if they can control their wrist, they can start on anything they want.

Have you ever ridden any other type of bike/quad?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think im pretty mature. I am 20 and actually race bicycles (human-powered). So i kinda get a little bit of the motorcycle riding. Counter-steering, balance, etc..
I am most likely use the moto for school, work, and riding up my local mountain passes.

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
Like I said, it's definitely doable. r6 I think is a good starting point for those who don't want to get a little 250. I love my 6's and they're a lot of fun but can get you into trouble rather quickly. The Kawi 250 or even the new Honda 250 (which will be out early next year) is a great starting point simply because if you make a mistake, chances are you can correct your way out of it.

If you haven't yet, sign up for an MSF course so you can get the basics down and learn a few helpful hints.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, thanks a lot.
I'm actually going to sign-up for an MSF class on thursday for January.

Thanks again for the prompt responses.
I'll be back if i need help with anything.

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
Cool, thanks a lot.
I'm actually going to sign-up for an MSF class on thursday for January.

Thanks again for the prompt responses.
I'll be back if i need help with anything.
:thumbsup:

If you are planning on getting a brand new bike, look into some frame sliders as your FIRST mod. They can save you a bit of money. Doesn't take much to get a little off balance and fall with the bike. You will be happy that you have them on there if that happens.
My 1st night out on my first bike, I fell over at a gas station. Ended up messing up some plastics that would have been saved with frame sliders.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll keep that in mind.
Thanks much.

One more question.
Does it matter if im teepee toed or flatfooted? I would like to be flatfooted. I am 5'10" not sure about my inseam, probably, 31-32.

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
As long as you can balance the bike you will be fine. On my '07 I can flatfoot at the lights, on my '09 r6 I need to be on the tips of my feet to stand upright, and on my '09 r1 it's right in the middle of both bikes. Just be careful and you will be fine.
You will get used to stopping and standing at lights and will figure out what works best for you. One thing I would not recommend is lowering the bike. These bikes come the way they come from the factory because that's what these bikes handle best at.
HOWEVER, hopefully you got a motorcycle shop close to you so that you can set up the correct sag for your bike. All my bikes were stiff from the factory, and after getting the correct sag set up it made a huge difference in riding feel.

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
Cool. There is Berts Mega Mall 5 minutes away. I'll go sit on some to try it out.
Thanks
Does Bert co-own it with Ernie? :rofl:
Sorry, I had to :banghead:

You can even look around for some '09's. All are pretty much the same bike except for the paint. Also on the 2010's and 2011's they made the slip-on (exhaust can) longer by 10mm over what the '09 had. Most people don't mind since that's one of the 1st things replaced, but it's something to consider.

·
aka "car lot"
358 Posts
Cool. There is Berts Mega Mall 5 minutes away. I'll go sit on some to try it out.
Thanks
Thats funny I bought a rear fender for my R1 off ebay and its a Berts Mega mall dealer sales plate and frame. one other suggestion on starting out that I always preach is use as much protective gear as you can afford For sure a helmet:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's cool. They have so man things there, its like a candy shop for adults. I am for sure going to try and get a full racing suit, with all the other protective gear. I am all about safety.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts