Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 2000 XL Limited 1200 to a highly recommended shop in early August due to EXHST error and beeping. I'm not a mechanic whatsoever, but my son is pretty comfortable with vehicles, little experience with watercraft. His research as well as shop's thoughts were the problem was related to cat, and a d-plate etc should fix it. {Sorry, as I said, I'm not a mechanic.} The shop said parts would be around $115 (in stock) and quick to do so "not much labor", however they were backlogged and it would be 2.5-3 weeks after drop-off so around Aug 28. In Sept they asked permission to dig into it a little more, saying it would be minimal extra cost, to make sure there weren't other problems that would show up after exhaust problem fixed. A month later they said the cylinder compression was 60, 85 and 95 lbs, $3800-$4000 for new top end and rebuild carbs, with no warranty because the bottom end could go out and take the top with it. So I should be prepared for $5000-$6000 depending on what they see once they start, if authorized to start. I asked my son to stop by and talk-the-mechanic-talk with them, look at machine; and he said it turned strange when my name was mentioned as the machine owner; suddenly the shop guy said they needed to close early (right then) and my son would have to come back another day. My son is 300 miles away now and can't do it again. I'm unsure what do do now. It is a nice machine, I don't know about it's value in comparison to the unknown cost to go forward with repairs. I'm wondering if I'd be better off putting the money towards a newer, value-oriented machine since I'm not into high speed or fancy options. Is there a market among talented do-it-yourselfers for machines needing work? Opinions, suggestions, or offers appreciated! Water Watercraft Jet ski Vehicle Boat

·
Super Moderator
452 Posts
I took my 2000 XL Limited 1200 to a highly recommended shop in early August due to EXHST error and beeping. I'm not a mechanic whatsoever, but my son is pretty comfortable with vehicles, little experience with watercraft. His research as well as shop's thoughts were the problem was related to cat, and a d-plate etc should fix it. {Sorry, as I said, I'm not a mechanic.} The shop said parts would be around $115 (in stock) and quick to do so "not much labor", however they were backlogged and it would be 2.5-3 weeks after drop-off so around Aug 28. In Sept they asked permission to dig into it a little more, saying it would be minimal extra cost, to make sure there weren't other problems that would show up after exhaust problem fixed. A month later they said the cylinder compression was 60, 85 and 95 lbs, $3800-$4000 for new top end and rebuild carbs, with no warranty because the bottom end could go out and take the top with it. So I should be prepared for $5000-$6000 depending on what they see once they start, if authorized to start. I asked my son to stop by and talk-the-mechanic-talk with them, look at machine; and he said it turned strange when my name was mentioned as the machine owner; suddenly the shop guy said they needed to close early (right then) and my son would have to come back another day. My son is 300 miles away now and can't do it again. I'm unsure what do do now. It is a nice machine, I don't know about it's value in comparison to the unknown cost to go forward with repairs. I'm wondering if I'd be better off putting the money towards a newer, value-oriented machine since I'm not into high speed or fancy options. Is there a market among talented do-it-yourselfers for machines needing work? Opinions, suggestions, or offers appreciated! View attachment 1925
Does it run good? If it does I would go somewhere else.
What I mean is if the compression is bad enough to warrant a new top end then it seems it would run bad.
I would invest in a service manual for it and have your son take a look. That code could be something else like a sensor even. I'm no waverunner mechanic but that's a lot of cash to throw at it. At least google the crap out of that error and see what turns up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
10yrs worth? Say you really ran it to death, yes? First thing should have been done before they touched it was to check compression. That's why they are hiding and that's what you tell them. "Let's check for other things?" They stepped in a green slick of not coming out of your wallet is the green.

More like, Ring-Ring, you know, we always rack a strange one and check compression before we say it might need this or that, but I am afraid to tell you, the parts are still on the shelf and this is the call to tell you, here is your problem, and here is your upsell price to fix it. OK, thanks, I'll pay for that time to check the very first happy customer, but a can of worms is now? See the cashier about what parts were added to an anchor?

I would not throw a dime it it. You want to sell it and note compression and good for parts or rebuilt by the home mechanic. No, I'd put the 5k towards a new one. Not used, or you're looking at your own a few seasons away if not within the season. New for sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does it run good? If it does I would go somewhere else.
What I mean is if the compression is bad enough to warrant a new top end then it seems it would run bad.
I would invest in a service manual for it and have your son take a look. That code could be something else like a sensor even. I'm no waverunner mechanic but that's a lot of cash to throw at it. At least google the crap out of that error and see what turns up.
It ran good in 2020, but first time putting it in the water mid-season 2021 was an instant "WTF this isn't right". It would run good for mere minutes then the EXHST error would kick in, so shut down. It was in the water maybe a total of 20 minutes including time to limp back to trailer it. Next action was taking it to the shop.
UPDATE: I visited shop ~2 weeks ago and they showed me problem parts on the machine, so I believe that additional work is needed. Top end needed, but bottom is OK. Questioning whether $3800-$4000 will be wisely spent, but felt I had to move forward whether right or wrong. They have my 2-place trailer and I need it back so I can pull my other machine out of the river. This ordeal began mid-summer and I never expected to be in this position in November, shudder, or December since we're having freezing temps. Not looking forward to a freezing ride from my dock to the boat launch. 🥶

·
Super Moderator
452 Posts
It ran good in 2020, but first time putting it in the water mid-season 2021 was an instant "WTF this isn't right". It would run good for mere minutes then the EXHST error would kick in, so shut down. It was in the water maybe a total of 20 minutes including time to limp back to trailer it. Next action was taking it to the shop.
UPDATE: I visited shop ~2 weeks ago and they showed me problem parts on the machine, so I believe that additional work is needed. Top end needed, but bottom is OK. Questioning whether $3800-$4000 will be wisely spent, but felt I had to move forward whether right or wrong. They have my 2-place trailer and I need it back so I can pull my other machine out of the river. This ordeal began mid-summer and I never expected to be in this position in November, shudder, or December since we're having freezing temps. Not looking forward to a freezing ride from my dock to the boat launch. 🥶
What were those "problem parts" ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts