Yamaha Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all, I thought I'd have a go at oil seals on my ybr suspension, everything was going smoothly until taking the seal out.

It was in poor shape and now it's even worse. Load of rubber stripped off it, seal puller and slide hammer couldn't grip it, even torched it there with a weed burner in case it was glued in and it would loosen it up, did it hell.

Anyway this is what I'm left with (See pic) and I'm bloody frustrated with it, any ideas, suggestions, comments would be welcome, should I just bite the bullet and take it down to the mechanics?

View attachment 1426

·
Registered
326 Posts
Evening all, I thought I'd have a go at oil seals on my ybr suspension, everything was going smoothly until taking the seal out.

It was in poor shape and now it's even worse. Load of rubber stripped off it, seal puller and slide hammer couldn't grip it, even torched it there with a weed burner in case it was glued in and it would loosen it up, did it hell.

Anyway this is what I'm left with (See pic) and I'm bloody frustrated with it, any ideas, suggestions, comments would be welcome, should I just bite the bullet and take it down to the mechanics?

View attachment 1426
looks like you will need to get something sharp between the metal edge of the seal and the fork body. Easier said then done I know. How about getting a tool of some sort with a 90 deg bend behind the seal? Or, drill a small hole in the seal and put a screw in it to pull with? Just get creative. maybe invest in a heat gun. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
looks like you will need to get something sharp between the metal edge of the seal and the fork body. Easier said then done I know. How about getting a tool of some sort with a 90 deg bend behind the seal? Or, drill a small hole in the seal and put a screw in it to pull with? Just get creative. maybe invest in a heat gun. Good luck.
I tried the screw trick early on, no success, took a butane burner to it last night, melted loads of snow but didn't loosen up. Going to raid my Granadad's tool shed over the weekend see what I can find with bend in it.

Called my mechanic earlier, he's waiting primed for when I give up! Thanks for the reply brother!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts