Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
You're not kidding. The weatherpeople around here have been threating us for 2 weeks now about snow. Not cool, for those of us that have street bikes.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Hey Tyler welcome to YF. We are glad to have some snow ppl among us.
I missed the snow, here in Florida the only time you see the snow is when you open the fridge/freezer lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh boy you dont know what your missing... i only live in NW PA so we dont see alot of it compared to say MI or NY..... but when it snows we get like school girls

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
I hear you and to be honest with you I'm considering moving out Florida. I rather live in a 4seasons weather than one similar hot/humid weather all around the year. Sorry MOTORCROSS MAVERICK I know you like it down here :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I will stick with the mud for now :=) I would like to ride a snowmobile oneday, I'm sure it's fun.
btw How fast do snowmobiles go?

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
I have heard that snowmobiles haul a$$ and are so much fun! A snowmobile is probably the only reason I would venture out in the snow.
Trust me ur not missing anything. Snow is cool for the first 15 minutes then ur like hey i'm still going slow as hell and i'm still cold as hell and i'm still getting no traction at all. The best time I ever had in the snow was when a friend of mine crashed a saucer sled at an estimated 65 lmao. He was going good enough to crack my hjc. It was the funniest thing I ever saw(especailly since i caused the crash).

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
No snow here either, I like riding my skis pretty much year round. Infact we have a ski ride coming up DEC 5th. 72 mile trip. First time me and the gang will be doing one like this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
midwest im not sure what your talking about when you say going slow?!!? my sled will go over 90mph through snow.... and it is a 1984... once i get my helmet cam ill be able to prove it, until then youll just have to believe me....

now on the other hand if you are riding some old pos that hasnt been maintained and just overall runs like crap, is hard to start and has no brakes, i can see where you might be dissappointed... also there is no such thing as cold if you are dress right... and if you do get cold just RIDE HARDER... im sometimes sweating when i get off my sled

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh yeah... i'd say they are probably the most dangerous of all yamaha machines... partly because in the winter (when ya ride them) it gets dark sooo early and most of the miles are in the dark..... then ya hit shit you cant see (under the snow) or go blowing in 90* turns... you gotta have your head on straight... and my sled only has 87hp hahaha... riding my uncles yamaha rage that has like 120 (ten less than my car) is like riding a rocket, and it is considered a touring sled... i cant imagine the rx1 sled

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Ok 90 is hauling a$$! Also isn’t it hard to judge the contour of the snow? I heard you cant see the humps and holes in the snow. Especially going that fast.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
am i the only one that lives where it snows?... generally i only get going that fast on back roads that are called, now get this, "no Winter maintenace roads" which means they arent plowed and snowmobiles run them all winter... that and guys in 4x4 trucks who get dared to drive thru some of the valleys and such....

its kinda hard to see some stuff at night but that mainly cause it is dark... i once hit i rock thinking it was a dip... luckily i was just creeping along but i still almost went over the bars... i saw the shado from the rock but thought that it was a little dip down and not a little rock up... let me tell you that baby stopped me right away

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
eh most of the time we ride we are in wide open fields or down non-plowed dirt roads... we dont go that fast on the trails... more like 25 or so... but it sure is nice when the trail opens up to a 1500' field and you just wail on it for that far.... ive only ever got around 90 a few times... and that was on the road... ide say the fastest ive ever went in a field is probably 80.... it doesnt scare me at all honestly... but i do remember being scared shitless when i was younger riding between my grandpa and the handlebars! im sure he wasnt going that fast then but it seemed like a million.... now going 90 on a street bike in the dark, that would be scary!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts