Yamaha Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Ontario, which has the graduated license system (M1 -> M2 -> M).

The M1 consists of only a written test which will allow you to ride for 60-90 days before you take your M1 Exit test at the Ministry. Once you pass the M1 exit test, you must wait for a minimum of 18 months with a course or 22 months without a course before you can take your M2 Exit test to get the full M.

I am 3 weeks into my M1 so pretty much green as grass and would like some input from experienced riders. Ideally, I would love to talk to someone who has taken the Ontario M1 Exit test at the Ministry (not the course) as this is how I'm doing it, and need to know what to focus on and practise (cones, emergency stop, etc.).

I have a 1983 Yamaha Maxim 400 (a great starter) and I use it as a commuter as often as I can. In the past 3 weeks I've been caught in a heavy rain, ridden on a gravel road, and driven at night, so I'm gaining as much experience as I can while I'm still fresh.

In that period of time, I've put almost 700km on my bike, so there's obviously a level of comfort, however, I'm not that great at starting into a right turn - for example, stop at intersection then proceed to turn right. Maintaining speed in first gear seems to be choppy since the "sweet spot" on my throttle is very small (sorry, I don't know the correct term, but my throttle is very sensitive). It feels awkward to shift into second gear while in the middle of a turn, and if I do, I find that I accelerate naturally, which widens my turn.

I don't really have this problem starting into a left turn because it's wider and I can usually get it into second gear before starting the turn. Also, when slowing into a turn I often use third gear as it seems to be the smoothest transition in and out.

What could someone recommend as the 'proper' or 'preferred' way of starting into a right turn?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no need

I booked a course for September 7-9. Most of my questions should be answered there, and then some.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts