Yamaha Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Since I have to post 10 times to get full features, here goes my first one.

Bought this 92 WR500Q from my brother who also bought used a couple years ago and upgraded lat season. According to my brother, other than the battery, it was working as well as a 28 year old WR would except for a water leak into the hull that would not drain during use.

I believe I fixed all three of those issues. Replaced the battery, cleaned out siphon, and replaced some missing through hole bolts holding jet assembly in place.

WR starts up like a champ, but I have 3 other issues.
1) Seems to idle high causing it to move quicker than I'd suspect at startup with no throttle.
2) Speed tops out at 15 to 18 mph at half to full throttle until running for a couple minutes. Then it slowly creeps up to top speed until I slow down.
3) Once I get it to top speed it begins to jump up and down like going over waves, even on calm water unless I shift my weight side to side occassional.

I have some pics of mounted impeller I will post when allowed to.

Also, there is a strong gas fumes smell in inside. Could there be a exhaust leak?

Any help much appreciate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Old machines that sit all summer (and then some) always end up with dirty/corroded carbs. Clean and replace parts as needed on the carbs and put new spark plugs in it and see how it does.
Engine seems to be operating great. My kids seem to be able to get to top speed better than I, so it seems like gap between impeller and housing. Wish I could post a picture, but the forum won't let me until I have enough posts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts