Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Currently driving a 2017 Audi 4 door RS3.
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
Residing in Perth Western Australia.
Thinking about purchasing a 2004 Warrior 1700 with 14000kms asking price is 15K.
Bike is very clean.
Concerned about parts availability.
Love the bike. Keen to purchase.
Looking for advice.
Cheers.
Rocksfly

·
Administrator "Loose Nut" - From Houston, Texas
150 Posts
Welcome from Houston Texas. The Warrior is a brute of a bike. They are well built and with regular maintenance will give many trouble free miles. Here in the states parts are available from several sources. Maintenance items and most stock parts are easy to get. The aftermarket sources are starting to dry up some, things like light bars, passenger back rests, etc. I would buy it in a heartbeat if it's been cared for.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
G'day Lesblank,
On my way down to take another look and a bunch of high def pics. Thank you for the welcome, information and advice..I've been to Dallas Fort Worth then out to Boyd, flying gyroplanes.
Cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spent some time going over the bike today and having the dealership put some numbers together.
New Helmet, gloves, jacket.
Bike....$15000
They have been sitting on the bike for a couple of months and would not budge on the price.
They are doing a service, clean And the helmet gloves and jacket reduced from $700 to $160.
The bike is very clean.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dealership have been sitting on this price for a couple months now. Today was the 4th time I have been in to look at the bike over the last 6 weeks.
The bike is in very good nick. Having the bike inspected and will test ride tomorrow.
Cheers
Rocksfly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dealership would not let me ride the bike down the street 500 meters to have a pre-purchase inspection done. However, they will allow the inspection to be done on their premise. I advised them they guy doing the inspection will drive it off site to road test. They are OK with that. They then asked me if I was coming in tomorrow to test ride the bike myself. Well if I was to do so I'd simply ride the bike down the street and have the pre-purchase inspection done. So at this point, Monday is the earliest the 'inspector' can do the deed. Report comes back in the positive, I'll be test riding shortly after. (I'll be down there all day)
All thing being good, I'll bring it home Monday.
Getting real excited now as I'm pretty sure she's a 'goer'.
Cheers,
Rocksfly

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looked at another Warrior today 2005 so younger but more miles...35,000 km.
Loads if extras. Same price.
On the bike.
Aftermarket air box.
Believe Corbin seat/passenger.
Rear rack.
Channelled stand-offs for ocky strap tie downs.
Chrome covers (Freedom Eagle) on front brake fluid and rear.
Rear leg pegs lowered.
Cobra pipes.
Bypass switch for light during start up.
Stainless mesh cables all round.
Second horn.
Cup holder.
Thermometer.

Comes with Vance and Hines straight pipes.
Original seat.
Chin bib coweling.
Light coweling.
Work shop manuals 2 x A4.
2 sets keys.

The lower milage Warrior 2004 14000kms is being pre-purchase inspected Monday.

This 2005 Warrior 35000kms presents nicely, though you can see it's been used more and has some stone chips on front of tank.
Sounds wicked and comes with a bunch of after market kit spare seat and whole other exhaust.

Both Warriors same colour.

Now I really need a whole lot of advice deciding. And YES I have thought to buy them both but just dropped nearly as much as both bikes into the stock market. (DEG check it out biggest gold find in 30 years here in WA).

So guys are the subject matter experts here and I really need your help deciding which way to go.
1. 2004 Low miles pretty much stock.
2. 2005 .....2.5 times the miles and a bunch of extras.
Cheers
Rocksfly.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I bought the bike.
First time owner of a Warrior.
Pick up tomorrow just before lunch.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had the bike pre-purchase inspected.
Passed with flying colours...13900kms original. Very clean bike.
Stock bike apart from Vance and Hines exhaust.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Picked up the Warrior today and went for a short highway run approx 130 kms.
Really enjoyed it. Plenty of grunt. Makes your eyes vibrate...got used to that but thought it may have been the dark glass visor in the helmet. Popped it up and away and wore my sunniest but vision vibe still there but less pronounced.
Is this vision vibe normal?

So it rides really nice. Took me all of 10 minutes to get used to the forward foot pegs.
I confess I was searching for more traditionally placed pegs initially. Duh!!
Whilst I thought the bike was original apart from the Vance and Hines exhaust, it turns out the seat is a Danny Grey, 'Short Hop' style. Not that I'd know any different but it was quite comfortable. It is reasonably deep but when going WOT you'd swear the seat was flat as the bike tends to leave you behind as it rockets ahead. Hanging on with out stretched arms and using my boot treads to hold to the pegs, a definite priority.
Power in reserve at 100kms and then 110 kms highway and freeway speeds, amazing.
I've watched a zillion Warrior videos but they do not do a live ride justice. The Warrior is a weapon.!!
Tomorrow I'm heading down to the Waroona dam. There are some nice twisty roads through the ranges down that way. Not as grand as a canyon ride but given we have no real mountains in Western Australia, the range roads must suffice.

Now I'm pretty pissed at the salesman and dealership as he (they) lied to me. He'd said I have 3 months warranty after checking with the female manager. Today that was not the case. I got him to go ask again and when it was refused, he couldn't be more apologetic
Not the point I told him, you've soured the deal now. They offered me my money back but I was set on the bike, scammers.

Still I have an issue that they said they had fixed last week, then again this week. The Vance and Hines rattles like crazy when the throttle is blipped.
I picked it up last week and so too did the pre-purchase inspection mechanic. Anyway its not been fixed obviously.
Well upon arriving home I rang the salesman and told him the rattle is still there so it had not been fixed...adding to the 'souring' of the deal.
I began to investigate and after identify the pipes are Big Shots part no: 18505, I discovered the Muffler Mounting Bracket 336 is not installed. A rather 'agricultural' single strap bracket is installed connecting to only the lower pipe. I suspect this is the cause of the rattle as the top pipe is not secure as per the Vance and Hines installation pdf file I found online. I reckon at higher revs and underload, there is enough flex in the long length of the top pipe, that it hits the lower pipe. I'm no mechanic but that's my best guess at this stage.
Further, none of the V&H hardware has been used. It's a real bogey job.

I'm posting a few pics for anyone who is interested and I would certainly appreciate advice.
This is an unwelcome distraction from what should have been a smooth process. 5 trips to the dealership 25 kms from home over the last 2 months and still shyte happens.
The bike is booked in for them to fix the issue on the 28th Oct but they have no clue and the salesman said we will have a look at it and see what we can do, take it for a test ride to make sure it's right.
"No you won't be taking it for a test ride."

Fact is I've sent V&H an email stating what I've found and seeking the part 336 and hardware plus asked for advice, so will see what happens.

I'm in between contracts at the moment so I have some 30 degree Celsius days ahead and a few good spots to take the Warrior.

Cheers
Rocksfly
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Wood Tints and shades Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper
Land vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Les,

Should I be starting a new warrior thread?
I know I'll be searching this forum for info on this Exhaust System.

Cheers
Rocksfly

1 - 15 of 15 Posts