Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys and girls, I'm officially back online and in the US. I was away for 2 weeks in Rwanda then another week with the family celebrating thanksgiving. It's ncie to be back home after a great experience.
20 high school students, 60 FAU students and 4 teachers from our High School traveled to Rwanda with Facing History and Ourselves staff as part of a two-year cultural and educational exchange program funded by a grant from the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA). While there, the students spent two weeks immersed in Rwandan culture, traveling and studying with Rwandan high school students, meeting with community leaders and completing service projects, exploring ideas of leadership and what makes a strong community, and developing videos of their experience.

The exchange builds on Facing History's extensive experience in helping teachers to foster students' critical thinking about how the history of the Holocaust and other examples of genocide and mass violence connect to the moral choices they confront in their lives. This exchange allowed students and teachers from two different cultures to explore together the critical importance of civic participation and tolerance, and the danger of apathy and prejudice.

The participating students will continue to work with each other through online activities following their time together in Rwanda. They will be together again when the Rwandan students travel to Florida in March 2010; during this time, the group will visit Washington, D.C.

Here few pictures I took while there:

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
Welcome back to the States. Really cool of you and your fellow students to go overseas and try to learn about a different country and their struggles. :applause.:
Thanks for sharing the pictures too

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Welcome back to the forum/home glad you had a good time in Africa tbh I would not be to comfortable between the Tutsi and Hutu people (just in case your on the wrong side) but fair play I take my hat off to you !
Regards Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts