Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I tore my motor apart to see what the viberation was all about. I found out that one of the center crank bearings had chipped letting a piece of crank housing to spin around a aluminum bearing spacer and well, making me make a decision to either put it back together or buy a new crank and a good used set of engine cases. Well I shelled out for a new Hot Rods crank and a like new set of engine cases.
After that I didnt want to build "Just Another Motor" I wanted to build "A NICE Motor".
I took a small grinder to the outside casting marks of my cases and smoothed out every sharp edge and every corner. You can rub your hand over every square inch of this motor and not feel a sharp edge. Then I didnt just want to paint the outside of the motor, I wanted something unique, something different! I went and Teflon coated the outside of my engine, yea just like the skillet you use to cook eggs. The Dupont Teflon, and the thing is I had it done for only about 50 bucks more than having someone paint my engine.
I went and installed braided sheathing over all my electical wires and heat shrinked the ends. Then I had my Expansion Chamber and exhaust manifold Ceramic Coated for that showroom look. For the final personal touch, I made a 3 gallon surf tank out of aluminum. The stock tank is about 4.8 gallons and thats just too big for surf riding in my opinion.
Here is the result of my build.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Continued:

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Engine Damage

Here are the pics of the damage to the Crank and Cases.

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
Nice pictures from the rebuild. Just to show you how out of watersports I really am, do they still sell stand ups or just the sit down jetskis?

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Hi,
the Lab seal looks like it took a pasting but the rebuild looks good & expensive !
Regards Jim

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice pictures from the rebuild. Just to show you how out of watersports I really am, do they still sell stand ups or just the sit down jetskis?
Yes they still sell them, Yamaha Super Jet - Kawasaki SXR - Hydro Space S6 - Polaris and Honda do not. Infact Polaris got out of the watercraft business and dont make any watercraft.
Many Many aftermarket standup hulls are made by smaller companies for competition for anywhere from 3 to 10K

Hi,
the Lab seal looks like it took a pasting but the rebuild looks good & expensive !
Regards Jim
Yea I found a good like new used set of engine cases and bought a brand new Hot Rods crank. Cylinders/pistons were still good. New rod bearings.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Yes they still sell them, Yamaha Super Jet - Kawasaki SXR - Hydro Space S6 - Polaris and Honda do not. Infact Polaris got out of the watercraft business and dont make any watercraft.
Many Many aftermarket standup hulls are made by smaller companies for competition for anywhere from 3 to 10K

Yea I found a good like new used set of engine cases and bought a brand new Hot Rods crank. Cylinders/pistons were still good. New rod bearings.
oh OK I guess you got around the crank & Lab spinning in the cases ... fair play .. if the lab drops again bye bye barrels (cylinders)
Regards Jim

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh OK I guess you got around the crank & Lab spinning in the cases ... fair play .. if the lab drops again bye bye barrels (cylinders)
Regards Jim
Actually the Lab never spun. A piece of the crank bearing broke off and viberated around the Lab.

Also the cases are still useable, and I have even been offered some money for them. They can be cleaned up.

Also I sold the crank, it was good enough in a regular motor and I sold it also.

I just didnt want to take a chance with these parts in my ski. Mine is heavily ported and I didnt want to take a chance.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Actually the Lab never spun. A piece of the crank bearing broke off and viberated around the Lab.

Also the cases are still useable, and I have even been offered some money for them. They can be cleaned up.

Also I sold the crank, it was good enough in a regular motor and I sold it also.

I just didnt want to take a chance with these parts in my ski. Mine is heavily ported and I didnt want to take a chance.
Hi.
if I had cases like that in an M/C engine they would have been out of the window .. so I guess an inner main bearing broke up and trashed the lab. which tended to be on the CS2E (sorry if anyone has a CS2E it was a problem). There are many a time I poped a crank apart fitted the 2 inner mains & lab seal .... It was just balancing the crank afterwards :)
Regards Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts