Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have dabbled with linux and have a strong desire to learn it but it seems the more questions I get answered, the more questions I have.

I would be much more involved if installing and/or maintaining things didn't require a comprehensive knowledge of the OS.

With windows, you click the setup file. With linux, you have to grant rights to or add repositories, be logged in as a super user, then button up loose ends after the install is completed, right?

What is the easiest way to learn and where is the best place to start?

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
That's true but it all depend on what linux distro and your needs. If you are looking for an easy installation without going through all the manual compilations, Ubuntu is one of the friendliest and easiest Linux distros. It is about as easy as it gets.
I think it is an excellent choice as a first distro. It's easy to use, easy to install, quite proper, and most importantly has the best community online: Ubuntu Forums - users are very helpful. Most other linux communities are kind of "rude" to newbies. When you don't ask an advanced question they just ignore you.

Follow this link, for lots of information:
How to Help Yourself - Ubuntu Forums

1 - 2 of 2 Posts