Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This morning I rode out to the gym. When I tried to leave the bike would not start. It just sounds like the starter is spinning like the sound of an electric drill and it will not turn over the engine. I can push start it but its tricky and I cant keep it running or I maybe I just suck at it lush starting.

I have been noticing intermittent starting issues but hasn't reallt gave me any real trouble until now. Any thoughts?

Edit: someone someplace else said its the starter clutch and easy to fix.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will follow up to the end to help anyone who may see this in the future.

Heres where Im at. Last weekend I bump started. Noticed a horrible sound. When I looked I saw the starter was literally busted and smoking.

I put a new starter on yesterday. It actually turned over the engine and I thought it was going to start but died. Then it started acting like a low battery but Ive had it on a battery maintiner all week. Then it just went back to the spinning sound. Thats a bit confusing to me actually.

Im back to planning to replace the clutch but right now I am sick. I have the part and Im waiting to feel better. Hopefully I can get to it next weekend.

·
Administrator "Loose Nut" - From Houston, Texas
129 Posts
There are many good videos, google is you friend. Here's a link to a good article with many other links within the article. Hopefully you will feel better soon.

·
Administrator "Loose Nut" - From Houston, Texas
129 Posts
Any auto parts store can load test your battery for free. When checking any electrical issues it’s best to eliminate the basic stuff first. Unfortunately even new batteries can be bad or low due to handling and age. Some motorcycle batteries sit on retailers shelves for extended periods of time. Batteries are marked by a born date.

Asphalt Automotive tire Font Road surface Gas

Organism Font Happy Astronomical object Photo caption

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any auto parts store can load test your battery for free. When checking any electrical issues it’s best to eliminate the basic stuff first. Unfortunately even new batteries can be bad or low due to handling and age. Some motorcycle batteries sit on retailers shelves for extended periods of time. Batteries are marked by a born date.

View attachment 1714

View attachment 1715
Ive neve seen any such marking on my old battery or this new one. I always thought it odd. I guess Its possible I was sold a bad battery. Surely theres some sort of warranty... I hope.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Replaced starter motor and starter clutch. Now it sounds like battery but autozone says the battery is good. I dont know what to do.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah I ran the battery down trying to start it. Im at my wits end. I tried jump starting but it didnt work either. Just acts like its dont have the power.

IT DID start (barely) right after I put it together one time. I shut it off to clean up my mess now this.

·
Registered
Way too many to list....
26 Posts
If you ran the battery down , that 's the problem .. starter should crank about 5 min. Intermittently ....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts