·
Registered
2002 V-Star XVS1100A Classic
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
First time poster on this forum
Hope to meet like minded enthusiasts.
I seem to have a problem and would value the thoughts of others.
I removed the battery from my 2002 V-Star XVS1100A Classic to give it a charge as it has been sitting for a couple of months.
After fully charging it, I went to start her but found I have nothing at all..... No ignition, no lights, no fuel pump etc.
As I have never removed the battery before (usually jump start it in the bike if necessary)
I am curious if there is some sort of code or process I am supposed to do to reactivate it.
I know the battery is good and has a charge of 12.68v..... I cleaned all the terminals and made sure they are making clean contacts.
I have also checked all the fuses I can find but they all seem fine.
I really would appreciate any insight into this problem

Bob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Bob,
Changing a battery shouldn't be an issue, placing the battery in and incorrectly connecting the terminals is an issue.
Not saying you did this but, considering you said you now have no display or any signs as though a charged battery is in the Bike, it's the only thing I could think may have happened ?
Just as an aside, just because the battery says it has over 12 volts, doesn't mean it's a good battery as a dropped cell or two can still show over 12 volts but not have the power to crank and engine, it still should show ignition lights, just not crank.
To test a battery you need a load test.
It's not unusual for an old battery left sitting for months flat to drop a cell or two after charging, especially if you have a very old charger that doesn't have the features like the new ones do that will do a pre test of the battery and then charge it correctly.
I would try another battery, just to remove one thing from the list.
Also check for any cables or connectors around the battery that you may have disconnected slightly that it looks connected or plugged in but is lose ?
Also if you tried jump starting the Bike did you connect straight to the battery terminals or the Earth lead to the Frame or some other metal part and only the power or red lead to the Battery, some electronic systems don't like straight to the battery. ?
May be worth a few dollars getting a Mechanic to check it out ?
Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bob,
Changing a battery shouldn't be an issue, placing the battery in and incorrectly connecting the terminals is an issue.
Not saying you did this but, considering you said you now have no display or any signs as though a charged battery is in the Bike, it's the only thing I could think may have happened ?
Just as an aside, just because the battery says it has over 12 volts, doesn't mean it's a good battery as a dropped cell or two can still show over 12 volts but not have the power to crank and engine, it still should show ignition lights, just not crank.
To test a battery you need a load test.
It's not unusual for an old battery left sitting for months flat to drop a cell or two after charging, especially if you have a very old charger that doesn't have the features like the new ones do that will do a pre test of the battery and then charge it correctly.
I would try another battery, just to remove one thing from the list.
Also check for any cables or connectors around the battery that you may have disconnected slightly that it looks connected or plugged in but is lose ?
Also if you tried jump starting the Bike did you connect straight to the battery terminals or the Earth lead to the Frame or some other metal part and only the power or red lead to the Battery, some electronic systems don't like straight to the battery. ?
May be worth a few dollars getting a Mechanic to check it out ?
Good luck

Thanks for the input
After going through every fuse and connector
I have sussed out the problem....
The battery charger I used to charge the battery killed it !!!!!
I should have remembered it did this once before
It is not designed for dry cell batteries, I remember killing a deep cycle boat battery a while back.
After testing the battery with battery tester, it has full volts but zero amps...
I have now ordered another battery, hopefully that will fix the problem
I will let you all know how it went once the new battery arrives and is fitted

Bob

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thanks for the input
After going through every fuse and connector
I have sussed out the problem....
The battery charger I used to charge the battery killed it !!!!!
I should have remembered it did this once before
It is not designed for dry cell batteries, I remember killing a deep cycle boat battery a while back.
After testing the battery with battery tester, it has full volts but zero amps...
I have now ordered another battery, hopefully that will fix the problem
I will let you all know how it went once the new battery arrives and is fitted

Bob
There is still the problem of no sign of life even with 12 volts at the terminals, I'm guessing and hoping you didn't check it with the key on is why. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all
Update...... New battery arrived today and it's as good as ever....
It was simply the battery

Thanks to all for the input

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts