Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 fx140 waverunner, battery seemed weak so my wife was helping me install a new battery. This was being done on a lift in November and her balance is much better than mine. I handed her the fully charged new battery in the direction she asked for it. She said it arced when she went to install the cable. She had not looked at the + and- and put it in wrong. We discovered it when the unit would not do anything when we hit the start button. Is there a main fuse that would do this and where would it be located at. I am just hoping that would be it. Even after changing the cables correctly their is no nothing when you hit the start button. I would appreciate any help! thanks, Mark

·
Registered
20 Posts
With a fully charged battery, and hooked up, have the wife find a good ground on the engine's bare metal somewhere.

Then with key off, touch those cables 35-33 and see if the light goes on. Then try with key on. It's DC current so you won't get a shock. What you are looking for is a flow from one chain to the next. So the battery (+) cable down to the first connection, see if the light goes on at that first point.
Battery to first cable end to starter motor? So for argument sake, we want to see if the light goes on at that point. If not, it's a break in the cable. If it does light up, it says the cable has integrity up to this point. It also says the ground cable at the battery has a good cable, and a good ground as well. It completes a circuit from battery to ground... is why the test light goes on.

With key on, you want to probe other touch points. The next one I would try is part #13. Here I remove the connector clips from the engine control unit, touch the prongs and just move along to find the hot pin that needs to hot the unit. So at both connectors, you will have to probe to see the test light go on. Up to this point you have power to the unit.

You don't want to replace any parts at this time. You want to see who at the relays, or units that might have power to a wire, and who is stopping the engine from turning over, or who does not have spark, etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts