Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there folks smarter than me,
A customer brought me a 1994 Yamaha Virago 1100 that he tried chopping himself and got in too deep. We've managed to almost finish it for him but i've got a big issue. The guy who owns the bike, found a guy in California that was hand making a single carb intake so that he could run it off one carb. The Cali guy also supposedly tuned the carb to work in this configuration. The issue is that it starts and runs at idle great but when riding, it bogs down at anything past a quarter throttle like its starving. We have already increased the main jet to .145 from .115 with no change. Any tuner guys out there that could give me some advice? Thanks in advance. Pic for attention.

·
415 Posts
Hey there folks smarter than me,
A customer brought me a 1994 Yamaha Virago 1100 that he tried chopping himself and got in too deep. We've managed to almost finish it for him but i've got a big issue. The guy who owns the bike, found a guy in California that was hand making a single carb intake so that he could run it off one carb. The Cali guy also supposedly tuned the carb to work in this configuration. The issue is that it starts and runs at idle great but when riding, it bogs down at anything past a quarter throttle like its starving. We have already increased the main jet to .145 from .115 with no change. Any tuner guys out there that could give me some advice? Thanks in advance. Pic for attention. View attachment 1471
I think you are going the wrong way with the main jet. Did you get it backwards? 145 to 115??? if so try 150

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. Maybe I wrote it wrong but we've gone from .115 to .145 on the main jet, getting larger, which should allow in more fuel. There has been zero change in the throttle response from when we were at .115 to the now .145. We are going to try a .150 but do not have much faith.

·
415 Posts
Thanks for the response. Maybe I wrote it wrong but we've gone from .115 to .145 on the main jet, getting larger, which should allow in more fuel. There has been zero change in the throttle response from when we were at .115 to the now .145. We are going to try a .150 but do not have much faith.
Gotcha, anything above half throttle or so is going to go off the main. Have you tried raising the needle? This would help at lower throttles but should not matter at wide open. Does the choke have any effect? Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts