Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many miles can you generally expect out of your stock tires?
I'm talking casual street use Also what brand is a good candidate for replacement tires you're mostly concerned with value/quality and long life for general road use?

for me: 2500 for the stock rear, still have the front and currently have 7600 on it. I'm considering replacing them with Bridgestone.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
I'm talking casual street use Also what brand is a good candidate for replacement tires you're mostly concerned with value/quality and long life for general road use?

for me: 2500 for the stock rear, still have the front and currently have 7600 on it. I'm considering replacing them with Bridgestone.
Battleaxe rules
the japolops caused the XJ900 to slip all over the place except with dry weather put the bridgestones on and the bike handles whatever the weather !
zoom in on the 900's rear tyre it's done about 5k

Regards Jim

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
All depends on how you ride. Even though people ride on the street, there's people that putt around town (like my buddy), people like me that like to get to 60 in 1 second flat, and people that like to race any and EVERYTHING on the streets (like another buddy of mine).
If you're a regular rider (nothing too drastic) then you should be able to get a few thousand. I got 3400 miles on my '09s tires and they are still plenty good (stock Dunlop Q's that came with the bike). My '07 has mismatched tires so I'll probably be upgrading them to Bridgestone BT-016's mainly because I can get a good deal on them.
As far as getting tires, I think you can't go wrong with a set of Bridgestones. Most people love them. Best thing to do is to go to motorcycle-superstore.com and read the reviews on whatever tire you are going to pick up. Also make sure to look at where the people are located that are reviewing the tires since people in Florida will have completely different weather than people in Wisconsin will.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
All depends on how you ride. Even though people ride on the street, there's people that putt around town (like my buddy), people like me that like to get to 60 in 1 second flat, and people that like to race any and EVERYTHING on the streets (like another buddy of mine).
If you're a regular rider (nothing too drastic) then you should be able to get a few thousand. I got 3400 miles on my '09s tires and they are still plenty good (stock Dunlop Q's that came with the bike). My '07 has mismatched tires so I'll probably be upgrading them to Bridgestone BT-016's mainly because I can get a good deal on them.
As far as getting tires, I think you can't go wrong with a set of Bridgestones. Most people love them. Best thing to do is to go to motorcycle-superstore.com and read the reviews on whatever tire you are going to pick up. Also make sure to look at where the people are located that are reviewing the tires since people in Florida will have completely different weather than people in Wisconsin will.
Hi Chris,
I guess I don't blast the 900 as you do with the R6 (we do have a 30mph limit in town) and of course when you leave the 30 limit you only have to get to the 60 limit twist the grip in top and your there in no time. The only way I could trash a tyre in that time is by bending the law :) (oldies don't do that to often). But I must admit in the past I used to trash a mag mopus rear tyre
in about 500 miles on my XS650, but that was 'riding' on the line the whole time and was in the early 80's when tyre tech was not what it is today .... coo I am an old fart :)
Regards Jim

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
BT-016's have been amazing for wear. I've got guys doing 3-4 trackdays plus 2500 street miles on them. Cant beat that considering we sell them for around $230 a set.
Good choice !!!
I pay around £175 for a pair
Regards Jim

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
your TZR looks like another virsion of the RZ350

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Long life of the tire, or long life of you? There is, in general, an inverse correlation between the traction/performance of a tire and how many miles it will last. And when you're squeezing on a whole fistful of front brake because some soccer mom in a Tahoe just turned left in front of you, what's more important? How many miles you got out of that tire that's the only thing that stands between you a two tons of steel, or how well it grips the road?

Avon Distanzias are very popular. The dealer I (used to) buy tires from doesn't carry Avon, so I got some Metzler Tourances. Not a bad tire, but they are compromise tires, intended for both street and light off-road use. However, I've discovered their limits at a track day, and I really don't have the skill to be on the edge of anything. Next time I'll buy some pure street tires. I may go back to the Dunlop Sportmaxes. Sticky tires, those.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts