Yamaha Forums banner

High milage impacting insurance settlement

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Dianne 
First, glad you are OK. Insurance companies are going to give you fair market value. They use standard guides to determine those values. It's up to you to negotiate those numbers. Beginning of this year I went down and totaled my HD. The insurance company did make a offer that matched NADA and Bluebook trade in value. I asked about the extras I had added and they informed me only the stock replacement parts were covered. I wasn't happy. Then found out safety gear is covered under a separate section of policy. I can be pretty persistent at times. So I documented everything I had added and the safety benefits of each one. I was creative on the safety aspect, lighting was easy to explain, but other items took my imagination. The chrome rim around speedometer made is safer for my eyes to focus on speedometer quickly. Side wings reduced wind turbulence to reduce head baffling, mirror kit enhanced rear vision, ISO grips kept hands isolated to be able to react differently, highway begs reduced fatigue, etc. Took me several weeks, tons of detailed email, screenshots of any manufacturers mention of anything that could understood as a safety benefit. Long story short, it got me an additional $1200. I actually think they just gave in to get me off the books. Here's a few facts that might not be in your favor. Around here an 1100 is in the $2500 to $3500 depending on condition and mileage. Side hack value is harder to determine. From past experience, you can at the most, count on 50 cents on the dollar at the most, on aftermarket parts. Below is a few pictures I sent in, the emails were long and detailed. Good luck and keep us informed.

Automotive fuel system Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting Light

Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle Motorcycle

Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle Wheel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.