Yamaha Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2018 r3 that was purchased by original owner in 3/2019. so 18 months old. The bike has 6660 miles. I noticed after a few short rides (its my first bike) that it appeared to have NO OIL, looking through the sight glass while it was stone cold I saw NOTHING, even tilting it towards the right I saw maybe a very slight amount, like a centimerer, no where near the minimum line.

I didn’t want to top it up because I wanted to get an oil analysis and I didn’t think there was ANY oil in it

the oil drain trip meter showed 1,000 miles. However I struggled to believe that, it had an oem filter, and the way this bike had been cared for, which is to say not much at all, just makes it hard for me to believe when the ex wife who sold it to me said “he changed the oil himself” it meant anything but he never changed it, just like he never cleaned it or greased the chain that’s rusted after just over a year of ownership and the tires that were never changed despite the front tire having the little prickly things still on the sides.

Anyway I pulled the drain plug and nearly 2 quarts of....oil+....came out like 1.6-1.8 maybe. ....which confused me, because it appeared to have none in it. And once refilled it showed the right amount in the sight glass. This is a major sigh of relief for me....

Unfortunately the oil reeks of gasoline, and I have no idea what that means, and it did seem too low a viscoisity and towards the end of the draining it appeared to be a bit thinner. The bike smells of gas strongly when starting it for a few minutes at least, if not just persistently while started but stationary and I thought it was just because of the janky slip on that’s literally slipped on and not installed right but unfortunately the gas in the oil makes me convinced something deeper is amiss.

I have no idea what to do frankly, I can’t even ride to the shop because I haven’t even gotten a license or the title from the previous owners lien release from Yamaha yet so ....yea, no idea what to do next or how quickly I should drain this, I plan to do it rather rapidly though because it seems prudent.

any tips as to what to do next would be greatly appreciated. I didn’t notice much of anything in the oil, but towards the end I did notice some very fine particulate, I believe it was coming from the filter not the drain plug. I can link a video to the drain shortly

any insight would be appreciated as well even if you dont have advice, if you just know what the likely cause would be I'd appreciate it.

attached are photos of before and after at oil sight glass/level, oil level in second photo is a bit higher than this because this was seconds after starting it and I was trying to balance it myself this time, but I can’t fathom how it showed nothing before, unless the low viscosity played a part but still I don’t understand where else it could be but the bottom end

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay, so mildly experienced R3 (2017 I think) owner chiming in.

First - if you're not careful with the tilt - it really does look like there's not any oil in it when it's on the kickstand. I imagine you might already be aware of this but if you're draining the whole oil tank, I don't think that much oil can hide somewhere that won't show in the sight glass.

Oil reeks of gasoline? That does sound a little worrying. Here's what I know - the oil system in a 4-stroke like this goes from a sump, pumped through and into the moving parts, including the cylinder heads (and gearbox, for a motorcycle), and back around. The gasoline in a fuel-injected 4-stroke goes from tank, to (relatively high pressure) pump, to fuel injectors. For those two to mix... and it to be leaking into the oil sump and not like on the floor or squirting out the side, either your injectors are doing something wonky (which would show up/be audible in combustion), your piston rings are doing something strange (leaking? even a sadistically hard break in shouldn't muck up piston rings that badly)... I personally have a hard time figuring a way that would happen without something really unlikely in 7k new miles, or that wouldn't be audibly amiss.

Here's a long shot - the original owner could have used 'fogging oil' in the cylinders for off-season storage. The only lead I have as far as something strange to show up in the oil is a result of having sat for awhile. If that thing was fogging oil, I suppose by a very long shot that might show up in the oil pan.

Honestly, if it's running well, I would replace the oil, oil filter... and probably the spark plugs as soon as possible. Note: getting that factory filter off is like 10 bitches in a bitch boat, so make sure to get a good tool on it first (I almost mangled mine into being unable to remove - very bad thing) and I'd recommend a replacement filter with a hex nut on the end:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C33ZN5...colid=SFRO7M1R6OHP&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

It's a life-saver.

And I'f keep an eye for any leaks, and on the next change more of the gas-in-the-oil-thing. Keep a close eye on it, basically. I am not specifically a mechanic, but I know my share about engines and have a hard time thinking what could go horribly wrong (and keep it from running) at <7k miles.

This is a bit older thread than I expected but I hope it can help at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, so mildly experienced R3 (2017 I think) owner chiming in.

First - if you're not careful with the tilt - it really does look like there's not any oil in it when it's on the kickstand. I imagine you might already be aware of this but if you're draining the whole oil tank, I don't think that much oil can hide somewhere that won't show in the sight glass.
either your injectors are doing something wonky (which would show up/be audible in combustion), your piston rings are doing something strange (leaking? even a sadistically hard break in shouldn't muck up piston rings that badly)... I personally have a hard time figuring a way that would happen without something really unlikely in 7k new miles, or that wouldn't be audibly amiss.

Here's a long shot - the original owner could have used 'fogging oil' in the cylinders for off-season storage. The only lead I have as far as something strange to show up in the oil is a result of having sat for awhile. If that thing was fogging oil, I suppose by a very long shot that might show up in the oil pan.

Honestly, if it's running well, I would replace the oil, oil filter... and probably the spark plugs as soon as possible. Note: getting that factory filter off is like 10 bitches in a bitch boat

thank you for your response, I know what you mean about the oil level when the bike isnt level, all I can do to convey it is say I had the bike sitting up straight and still saw nothing. it has baffled me as well, it shouldn't be possible, and short of some whacky physics I dont understand being at play, all I can really do is say yea as a reasonable human being and Occam's razor being what it is, lets just say human error is at play, or the cat in the oil sump is both alive and dead and the very act of observing it changes its state.

regardless, since I only took photos lets put that aside because as you mentioned, very black oil was expelled from a 18 month old bike with $7k miles. It may have sat on the lot for quite a while, I know it wasn't sold until mid 2019 but it is a 2018 model, not sure, unfortunately I do not know of any way that warranty can be intact as I believe its a year warranty. But yes a very pungent fuel smell in the oil.

I live in New Orleans, and it was sold new 45 minutes north of New Orleans, so unless the dealer stored it with the fogging oil you mention, which I am not familiar with, I doubt the owner did as it seems he did relatively little in the way of care and maintenance. I thought the bike may have never had an oil change, it did have a OEM Yamaha oil filter on it, but the filter came off with relative ease, although I used a oil filter wrench and a 12" ratchet, that and the oil change interval clock showed it had about 1,000 miles or so on it since the last change, which assuming thats accurate kills my theory about never being changed.

so it has 1,000 mile old black oil with a pungent fuel smell to it.

I must clarify a few things now, I did change the oil and filter, and will be sending off an oil sample, but there is also a slip on on the bike that is attached very poorly, literally slipped on, and it has exhaust pulses you can feel escaping with your hand around the circumference of the slip on where its....slipped on, so I initially thought the bike being extra loud was because of that, and then panicked thinking it was extra loud and especially in first gear at high rpms because it didn't have any oil in it....it did quiet down a bit with fresh oil, and smooth out, and unless I am crazy it almost seemed like it quieted down again and smoothed out even further once it got its first full tank of gas, it had been running on a very empty tank that I topped up a few times with a tiny amount of fuel for the first few weeks I owned it, and the couple of miles I put on it in that time in the handful of rides it went on.

unless it just needs springs and its normal for slip ons to leak without them, I need to replace that, aside from that I haven't noticed any sounds tat would concern me, short of the buzz at high rpm in first gear....I am entirely new to motorcycles so it is possible I am missing a clue though.

can you walk me through your fogging oil theory as well as what you're thinking as far as it having sit for a good while? it definitely sat at least a few months before I bought it, and as I said it may well have sat for 18 months before selling, not sure, but thats all I have to go on for now. thanks again for your attempt to assist

·
Registered
327 Posts
I bet it was just fuel leaking from the injectors over months of time. Probably not much either.
Plus the fuel that was left was old and that stuff stinks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not hard if you can change spark plugs you can do it. Get you a compression gauge. I got a cheap one at Harbor Freight tools and it works great.

Is it running good? If so don't sweat it.
I think its running ok, but aside from smelling like gas especially at start and all the stuff I said earlier, I noticed when I changed my oil the very last bit that drained out had some metal flakes in the oil, like I swapped out oil drain pans towards the end and came back and there was literally a tiny bit of oil that had drained into that pan, but the little "stains" from where the oil dripped down the side of the drain pan had tiny bits of metal that dried on the side of the oil drain pan where the bit of oil dribbled down the side, so I am at a loss, all I can gather is that its a piston ring so it is more or less running fine but needs to be. dealt with obviously. I mean its clearly not some catastrophic problem like a hard metal component that failed, it was something that was soft enough to get all chewed up into tiny bits without causing catastrophic failure. I want to believe nothing is wrong and its running fine so its fine but there's a handful of little issues that im struggling to ignore

on a separate note, does anyone happen to know if the r3 stores the mileage in multiple places/modules like many modern cars do, because id love to be able to check to see if the previous owner adjusted the mileage, since time is not able to be tampered with and it was sold new in 2019, the only thing left I can figure may have been tampered with was the mileage is higher than let on, not sure if there's ways to check the mileage recored in other modules (like ABS for example) or if it doesn't have that redundancy, which would kind of suck

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think its running ok, but aside from smelling like gas especially at start and all the stuff I said earlier, I noticed when I changed my oil the very last bit that drained out had some metal flakes in the oil, like I swapped out oil drain pans towards the end and came back and there was literally a tiny bit of oil that had drained into that pan, but the little "stains" from where the oil dripped down the side of the drain pan had tiny bits of metal that dried on the side of the oil drain pan where the bit of oil dribbled down the side, so I am at a loss, all I can gather is that its a piston ring so it is more or less running fine but needs to be. dealt with obviously. I mean its clearly not some catastrophic problem like a hard metal component that failed, it was something that was soft enough to get all chewed up into tiny bits without causing catastrophic failure. I want to believe nothing is wrong and its running fine so its fine but there's a handful of little issues that im struggling to ignore

on a separate note, does anyone happen to know if the r3 stores the mileage in multiple places/modules like many modern cars do, because id love to be able to check to see if the previous owner adjusted the mileage, since time is not able to be tampered with and it was sold new in 2019, the only thing left I can figure may have been tampered with was the mileage is higher than let on, not sure if there's ways to check the mileage recored in other modules (like ABS for example) or if it doesn't have that redundancy, which would kind of suck
Super fine metal particles are normal. If the bike doesn't knock or tick I wouldn't worry one little bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts