Yamaha Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it looks like I need a new choke in order to stop my 09 Zuma from idleing really high. Did a bunch of tests and it seems like my choke just aint up to the task. It kind of works but the idle just jumps up and down, some times works mostly doesnt.. I called my local yamaha dealer and they said the electric choke is 189$. Is this for real??! that's absurd just for the choke. Are there any alternatives? Note my zuma has a 70cc Athena kit and a Del Toro carb.. Please let me know if you have any answers. The zuma is currently sitting over at my mechanics house and I need to actually fix it up so I can sell it within a month's time. I'm moving half way across the country and have to get rid of it :[

·
Registered
353 Posts
So it looks like I need a new choke in order to stop my 09 Zuma from idleing really high. Did a bunch of tests and it seems like my choke just aint up to the task. It kind of works but the idle just jumps up and down, some times works mostly doesnt.. I called my local yamaha dealer and they said the electric choke is 189$. Is this for real??! that's absurd just for the choke. Are there any alternatives? Note my zuma has a 70cc Athena kit and a Del Toro carb.. Please let me know if you have any answers. The zuma is currently sitting over at my mechanics house and I need to actually fix it up so I can sell it within a month's time. I'm moving half way across the country and have to get rid of it :[
Get the part number and chances are you can buy it online much cheaper than from the dealer. Just search the part number and see what's out there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I must be lucky as my Dealer sells parts for less or the same as what I can buy them on EBAY ?
Not all Dealers are rip off merchants and my Dealer is actually cheaper for a full service than any of the local Jet Ski mechanics.
It really depends on your area, as ones like my area with three Jet Ski repairers all less than one kilometer apart, competition keeps them at reasonable prices.
Have you checked the connections ? a bad electrical connection could cause an intermittent fault ?
Take the old unit off, give it a good clean and check all pins as well as the socket the pin goes into, power pins can oxidise over time, especially if you live near the Sea or get a sea breeze, even if ten miles from the beach or Ocean.
The concrete stumps at one of our houses that was at least a ten minute drive from the Ocean, had all the reo inside the posts rusted to the point they expanded and broke the concrete on the exterior of the posts, I had to replace them all, didn't use concrete ones again :).
A Sea breeze is great in the hot weather, very destructive to all your electronics as well as any unprotected or poorly protected metals :)
Did you Google known problems for your model as it may be a simple fix others have done before ?
Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts