Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal:

I just had a problem with my clutch on my car (02 Lancer OZ Rally) so I took it to my local shop to get a new clutch put on. I put on an ACT clutch kit which can handle up to 288 lb/ft of torque. My car right now is semi-stock. Last year I put on a full exhaust (RRM headers, Magnaflow cat, Magnaflow catback exhaust) just to give it some sound and maybe a little power.
Well yesterday, I went to pick up my car and my buddy was talking to me about putting a turbo on. He's had 3 or 4 EVO's so far and says that he's got 3 turbos laying around and that he'll give it to me for free as long as I let him install it. :siren: Since my engine is similar to the EVO's (obviously the internals aren't the same), he said it won't be much of a hassle. He said I need to get an intercooler kit (piping as well as intercooler), blowoff valve and a few other miscellaneous parts.
Anybody on here know where to get a basic intercooler kit without going past a few hundred bucks? I'm not gonna be running CRAZY boost, just something to wake the car up.

Any input is GREATLY appreciated

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Home Depot :D

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
But seriously, depending on the size of turbo he would be installing, I would be very cautious. Those motors are not made for turbos and wouldn't think twice about throwing a head gasket, rod, or worse. I would replace the internals before throwing a turbo on it. Turbo + stock engine = unreliable. Just an opinion. :) If you wanna go cheap just install a leaf blower on your intake! :nana:

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But seriously, depending on the size of turbo he would be installing, I would be very cautious. Those motors are not made for turbos and wouldn't think twice about throwing a head gasket, rod, or worse. I would replace the internals before throwing a turbo on it. Turbo + stock engine = unreliable. Just an opinion. :) If you wanna go cheap just install a leaf blower on your intake! :nana:
Very good point. :hifive: I just figured since I'm not gonna be running insane boost, there won't be much harm done to the engine.

And I already have a leaf blower. Can't believe I left that out of my original post :doh:

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
If you are still wanting to run one, I wouldn't go over 7psi. That usually seems to be the safe mark for most cars. Enough to noctice a difference, but not enough to throw a lot of strain on the motor. Also, a cheap place to get downpipes, intercooler pipes made, etc., is a local exhaust shop. It's amazing what they can do. Other then that I would say just look around on Ebay. Possibly even a Lancer forum to give you some pointers and see what others may have done.

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good call. Appreciate the input Brandon.
The guy was telling me that we could run it at about 15 psi and I thought that was too high for a stock engine. Glad you mentioned something about the psi level. I know the Dodge Neon SRT ran a high psi, but I also heard that it was doing more bad than good and I definitely don't want to be replacing an engine by next summer :)

·
Premium Member
180 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Cutting corners isn't a good idea however if your handy with a tig welder you should be able to pick up a lot of components from a wrecking yard that has med to heavy duty trucks you wont find exact fits however a cooler off an npr box van has the correct depth and thickness just too wide if you find one damaged on an end they go pretty cheep (aprox 65 to 85 bucks) you have to cut and re-weld to adapt it same with the pipes both alum and rubber some will have the bends already made you need but have to be cut and spliced together re welded to fit your app all and all not worth the effort if a pre-made kit is available only worth it if not.( Experience talking installed an under the hood supercharger on my 06 hemi charger before the kit was available big pain in the @$$)

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not going to be doing work, it's gonna be a shop where the guy is currently in the middle of a complete rebuild on his EVO. He knows a thing or two about making stuff work. I'm just more or less worried about whether my engine can handle 7 or 8 pounds of boost.
I'm probably gonna give it a try and hope for the best. Can't stand driving around with the stock hp (120hp on my car which isn't even to the wheels YET)

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
I wouldn't trust a turbo to any part that wasn't made for the configuration. Cutting them out of a Junker may make matters even worse. If the boost isn't regulated properly, or inter-cooled right, it can come apart, and the engine will ingest the parts. And you have already stated the turbo's don't fit your engine, A turbo'ed engine is totally different inside.. Pistons, Cylinder heads, Spark advance curve, & lots of other stuff... I know this from cars when they had the Thunderbird Turbo coupe, The 2.2 Chrysler turbo in the Lebaron & others... None of the parts were the same as compared to the regular engine. And they only 7 or 8 pounds of boost.. Even the compression ratio is lower on a turbo engine... Start to Mod it & you may find a lot more to it, If you want power, Try to put the turbo money toward a V8 in a small car as a GT mustang, If you want the turbo look for the likes as the old GT Mazda MX6 or better yet, an RX7 as they have virtually no RPM limit to them...... so good luck! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's the deal:

I just had a problem with my clutch on my car (02 Lancer OZ Rally) so I took it to my local shop to get a new clutch put on. I put on an ACT clutch kit which can handle up to 288 lb/ft of torque. My car right now is semi-stock. Last year I put on a full exhaust (RRM headers, Magnaflow cat, Magnaflow catback exhaust) just to give it some sound and maybe a little power.
Well yesterday, I went to pick up my car and my buddy was talking to me about putting a turbo on. He's had 3 or 4 EVO's so far and says that he's got 3 turbos laying around and that he'll give it to me for free as long as I let him install it. :siren: Since my engine is similar to the EVO's (obviously the internals aren't the same), he said it won't be much of a hassle. He said I need to get an intercooler kit (piping as well as intercooler), blowoff valve and a few other miscellaneous parts.
Anybody on here know where to get a basic intercooler kit without going past a few hundred bucks? I'm not gonna be running CRAZY boost, just something to wake the car up.

Any input is GREATLY appreciated
You can buy a 3" INCH ALUMINUM 8PCS TURBO INTERCOOLER PIPING U-PIPE KIT for MAZDA for $101.99 online at ebay. So, if you don't mind putting in $1.99 more than yourbudget :laugh::wink2: then this is a great deal and you will get free shipping

1 - 11 of 11 Posts