Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I want to buy a 1981 Yamaha Seca 750 that is in pristine condition and very well taken care of by its owner for the last 20 years. He has 12 other bikes as well. He says that he never takes apart the carbs and just uses sea foam. I am a new rider and not handy at all, do you think i will ever need to take the carbs apart to clean them ?

Thanks !!!

· Super Moderator
1986 FZ 600
90 Posts
Like Bmaster said, it depends on how it is running. A good maintenance routine goes a long way to extending the interval between full tear down and rebuilds.

I typically tear down and rebuild a carb when I first get a bike along with changing all fluids and inspecting clutch, brakes, sprockets & chain.

That said, if it is running good then it is running good! Poor fuel quality and lack of use are the biggest factors in carb health.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like Bmaster said, it depends on how it is running. A good maintenance routine goes a long way to extending the interval between full tear down and rebuilds.

I typically tear down and rebuild a carb when I first get a bike along with changing all fluids and inspecting clutch, brakes, sprockets & chain.

That said, if it is running good then it is running good! Poor fuel quality and lack of use are the biggest factors in carb health.

Thanks for all of your advice and knowledge. The owner had the bike for 19 years along with 12 other bikes that are all in pristine condition. He said he never had to remove the carbs and all he puts is seafoam and a filter in the gas line. I am just worried if I can maintain the cleanliness and functionality of the bike as he has done since I am not handy at all with mechanics. Here are a few pics of the bike. I am buying it for $ 1800 canadian dollars.

· Super Moderator
1986 FZ 600
90 Posts
is the seca easy to pop up the front wheel? im a new rider, do u think its a good bie for me?
do you think the Seca is a heavy bike a very slow speeds ? that it is hard to handle for someone with 4 months experience ?
I wouldn't say easy, it isn't going to catch you off guard so to speak. Yes, you could get the wheel up if you wanted to but it's not likely to just happen unexpectedly. No, I wouldn't expect it to be heavier than any other bike at low speeds. It is a great bike and should be very manageable in the bottom half of the RPM range. As you were taught, smooth, consistent inputs are the key to riding a motorcycle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts