Yamaha Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2016 new BWS in Canada. I believe this is the same as the Zuma in the states. I hear conflicting info. The dealer says no break in period is needed for the engine, but the manual says no more that 1/3 throttle to start , and slowly work your way up to full. You all know the manual info. In any case should I follow the manual or listen to the dealer. Any real engineers out there?

·
Banned
2,476 Posts
Different people say different things. When I bought brand new bikes (sportbikes), I broke them in per the owners manual. I have heard about guys taking them out to the track for their first miles and with no problems.
Personally I don't really think it matters. Most bikes don't survive long enough to make a difference. Either people sell them or they get wrecked out so caring about what happens for the first 600 miles might not make a difference in the end. I would just change out the oil at about the 600 or 1000 mile mark and then ride it like you stole it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been speaking to delaers and they all seem to say ride without limit, just vary the speed. No need to follow the rigorous break in speeds of not doing over 20km per hour for the first couple of hundred km. As long as you vary the speed and change the oil after the first 600 or so miles. Eventhe the manual suggests different the dealers say that was from the older style engines what no longer made. The manuals haven't been upgraded reflecting the change. So it seems I can ride as i wish while varying the speed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Some people have told me that you can simply “ride it like you stole it” off the showroom floor. The riders that I’ve respected have spouted the manual’s text honoring the break-in period. That it will seat the cylinder better and will help it run a lot better in the long run. I’ve bought used scooters, but when I’ve installed a big bore kit, I’ve gone through the 1/3 throttle and trying not to stay at the same speed for very long for the first 600 miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I saw a recent Youtube video of a pro builder that built two identical 450 engines for two identical bikes and ran one for 300 miles with an easy break-in per manual and the other full throttle from the start. Then he dynoed both motors, tore down both motors and measured everything related to the cylinders. both engines performed nearly identically and showed equal power, wear, compression. Afterwards he said he wouldn't be doing the long break in anymore.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Just bought a 2016 new BWS in Canada. I believe this is the same as the Zuma in the states. I hear conflicting info. The dealer says no break in period is needed for the engine, but the manual says no more that 1/3 throttle to start , and slowly work your way up to full. You all know the manual info. In any case should I follow the manual or listen to the dealer. Any real engineers out there?
Follow the manual, it has info straight from the manufacture.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts