Yamaha Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Where would I find a 17-tooth front sprocket for a 2020 Vstar 250? Would the chain still fit after installing the sprocket?
I bought mine at the (a) Yamaha bike shop. It improved the gearing to speed ratio. I also bought a smaller rear sprocket, but haven't fitted it yet. With the original ratio's I was often in top gear by 60km/h, and looking for a taller gear by 80. Now I don't need to go searching the box for another gear after I get passed 70. Top speed is irrelevant. It will still do 110km/h comfortably.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for taking the time to help me out. I'm hoping that I can comfortably go 4-5 mph faster in the top gear. When I mount the sprocket, am I going to have problem getting the chain over the sprocket? Or do you mount the chain and sprocket together? How many teeth are on your new rear sprocket? I thought about doing that as well, but it looked like a lot more work. Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Old sprocket is 16 tooth. New one is 17. No problems with chain, but I don't think you will get 18, due to clearance. I was not after more speed, just to reduce the over revving feeling at highway speeds. And also I could take off from a standstill with my wife on the back, in second gear. I have bought a smaller rear sprocket, but haven't fitted it, as I haven't had to do a tyre change. New cog is 43, old cog I just counted at 44 teeth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again. The bike seems way geared down. Like you, I am hoping that the 17 tooth sprocket will reduce the over revving feeling at highway speeds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts